Total Control Sports Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I am a TCB junkie.

I wish the small golf size whiffles were just a bit larger so they would not go through batting cage net. They fly too far to use outside and they go through batting cage net so I can't figure out a good use for them. Wiffle brand wiffle golf balls don't fly as far and you can buy half a bucket full of a hundred for less than $50 I think. No need to buy the expensive tcb's.

I called them about the heavy balls that are the size of a golf ball for golf training. They said they do not recommend them for baseball/softball as they come back at the pitcher "really fast and you can't see them like the bigger ones". Dang I'd like to do skinny barrel bat drills with these. Not brave enough.

We have hit the baseball size heavy balls with about every bat out there. Alot. It won't hurt the bats.

I was surprised, (and concerned),to hear my dd's both hit the atomics at a camp. I asked it their wrist hurt or whether it stopped the bat dead. They said it was no big deal, it feels like hitting the 74's or whatever we have and they just don't fly as far. I still am not into that at all. The baseball size ones are my vast preference.

If you have the hole balls and the heavy balls, mix them up. You get change in speed and girls focus hard to see what they are hitting due to the difference in feel at contact.

There 'ya go, my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I use both the heavy baseball-sized TCBs and the wiffle type balls. The heavy balls are fine for younger girls, I have used them with 10U teams for years, all the way up to 18U with great success. Never had an issue with wrist injuries, which we have definitely seen when hitting deflated soccer balls and other too-heavy objects.

I'm in the same camp with many people, not sure how to use the wiffle style for hitting as they travel a good distance (too far for warming up in small areas) and are too light for soft toss work into a net (might as well use regular balls). We do use them for fielding drills indoors (no gloves) and outdoor practices with batters hitting to gloveless fielders, but for pre-game warmups I leave them at home and stick to the heavy balls.

Apr 1, 2010
I am a TCB junkie.

I wish the small golf size whiffles were just a bit larger so they would not go through batting cage net. They fly too far to use outside and they go through batting cage net so I can't figure out a good use for them. Wiffle brand wiffle golf balls don't fly as far and you can buy half a bucket full of a hundred for less than $50 I think. No need to buy the expensive tcb's.

I called them about the heavy balls that are the size of a golf ball for golf training. They said they do not recommend them for baseball/softball as they come back at the pitcher "really fast and you can't see them like the bigger ones". Dang I'd like to do skinny barrel bat drills with these. Not brave enough.

We have hit the baseball size heavy balls with about every bat out there. Alot. It won't hurt the bats.

I was surprised, (and concerned),to hear my dd's both hit the atomics at a camp. I asked it their wrist hurt or whether it stopped the bat dead. They said it was no big deal, it feels like hitting the 74's or whatever we have and they just don't fly as far. I still am not into that at all. The baseball size ones are my vast preference.

If you have the hole balls and the heavy balls, mix them up. You get change in speed and girls focus hard to see what they are hitting due to the difference in feel at contact.

There 'ya go, my 2 cents!

I'm a TCB junkie too. Perhaps we can start a support group, LOL!

My daughter actually has broken a bat while hitting TCBs. She has also broken a bat while hitting regular softballs, so...

I like to try to mix up the regular TCBs with the TCB hole balls too. We pretty much have to be at a wide open space to do that since they fly farther, but I do think it makes a good addition to the drill.

Dec 11, 2010
I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like an absolute that they won't break bats- did it break at a joint?

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
My dd travel ball team has the smaller balls but I was able to get a better deal on the larger ones so I bought those for her and her rec team to use. When I asked the guy at the store if he had any of the small ones he told me he doesn't carry them anymore because the bigger ball (82) is more durable than the small ball. He said he had problems with older girls busting up the small balls at a rate much faster then the 82's. My dd says she doesn't think there is a big differnce between the two and Neither ball is going to go very far. I was able to watch what appeared to be a very good 18u team hit the TCB and even when hitting them very well they did not travel a great distance. Price and apparent durability played the biggest role in my decision making.

Apr 1, 2010
I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like an absolute that they won't break bats- did it break at a joint?

No, it was a one-piece composite. =:-O I had been telling her to get the one-pieces because she's strong and I didn't want her snapping off bat handles left and right. But she broke two one-pieces last year, so when she decided she wanted to try one of the flex-50 Worth 454 two-pieces this year, I let her. If they're going to break anyway... I'm keeping my fingers crossed and we're keeping a backup bat in the bag though.

Jan 14, 2011
Michigan
This is how The Coach uses TCB Weighted Balls with his Travel and High School Teams: First, we use the Original TCB (3.2" diameter, 425 grams) - the smaller size increases focus. The Coach or one of his pitchers stands 15-20 feet in front of the hitter, throwing the ORIGINAL TCB Weighted Ball like a fastpitch softball pitcher would pitch – only about low-to-mid speed. The Coach likes this better than just “soft toss” drills with the ORIGINAL TCB Weighted Balls as it better mimics the timing of the hitter to the pitch.

Caution: When you first start hitting sessions with ORIGINAL TCB Weighted Balls, limit each batter to 4 – 6 swings, gradually increasing to 18 – 24 swings per hitting session. Otherwise, hitters may sprain their wrists as they get use to hitting the heavier TCB Weighted Balls.

We provide more information and specific recommendations on the website below about using the TCB - no, we don't sell any.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1