Too Many Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
It's actually harder to make the rec All-Star team than it is almost all of the travel teams in our community.
Same for our HS varsity team. There are kids who play "A" ball who can't even make the team. And our team is decent but in no way full of world beaters.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
About half the parents on our team love to win 20-0. I have to wonder why. What makes that fun to them. You should see them in the stands, jumping up and down, slapping high 5s. In our case, it crosses the line into poor sportsmanship. It's embarrassing.

I talk to the girls and some find it fun (at first) but quickly recognize that it's not really as fun as a close game.

We literally had a high school game yesterday that was a 20-0 blowout (we won). It was really uncomfortable, honestly. Our parents were great; cheering for our girls in a supportive, but pretty quiet/non-obnoxious way. The other team's parents were virtually silent.

I found this interesting. In the county where the opposing school is, kids are allowed to choose which high school to attend. The serious softball players choose one of two high schools (the one we played is not either of those). So this poor school has no one. The starting pitcher looked like she was throwing slow pitch and has probably never had a pitching lesson in her life. It was painful to watch. I'm so glad our parents didn't act like what you describe.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I would like to take the time to concur with the OP. The more teams the better. IMO natural selection will take care of most things as the girls age up.

I am sorry to see the state of rec ball these days, but it is what it is and I don't think there's a near term fix for it.

Also, as has been mentioned before, the sanctioning bodies need to do more than collect checks. Certify teams, don't let teams play down to get a trophy. Force teams into a competition track with a culmination tournament; or something along those lines.

Oct 4, 2018
Here's another factor.

Some Travel Teams are cutting costs to next to nothing. Our Travel Team is now less costly than fall rec, spring rec and All-Stars combined. So it's cheaper to play Travel.

And they cut the costs because one family complained. I seriously fear we'll be in so few tournaments that we'll wish we were on another team.

Jul 14, 2018
Here's another factor.

Some Travel Teams are cutting costs to next to nothing. Our Travel Team is now less costly than fall rec, spring rec and All-Stars combined. So it's cheaper to play Travel.

And they cut the costs because one family complained. I seriously fear we'll be in so few tournaments that we'll wish we were on another team.

Wow, I'd be thrilled if our TB team charged just a single-digit multiple of our Rec league!!

Jun 8, 2016
Wow, I'd be thrilled if our TB team charged just a single-digit multiple of our Rec league!!
Our monthly fees are 50 bucks now. TBH I don't mind that since I use the indoor facility to hit twice a week in the summer and maybe 3 or 4 times in the winter where we also use the indoor field to do some fielding work a few times a week. The way I see I would be paying something similar at a private cage.

With tournament expenses and 3 tournaments where we needed to stay in hotels in the Spring, I figure we will spend about 2K in 2019 for TB. That said, before TB we used to go to Hawaii every summer (that is where is my wife is from) so we probably are saving money by playing TB at this point :LOL:

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
May not mean everyone is getting worse but more teams require more coaches. And that's where the real drought exists. Finding great coaches who can make kids better is very hard.

And I do not see this getting any better... This is the first summer that I was not actively coaching a team since 2005. Instead I worked closely with a few ex-players that are now playing in college (mostly hitting). Recently a friend asked me to help him coach for one tournament, as one of his assistants was not available. While it was fun, there was a lot of drama associated with the parents on his team. After the tournament he asked if I wanted to stay on and help out. I politely said "thanks, but no thanks". While I enjoy working with the players and watching them progress, I really have no interest in all the other garbage. Not stating I am a great coach, or anything. Just that some of the extracurricular activity is chasing some coaches away from youth sports. The same could be said about umpiring as well, but at least they are getting paid for the aggravation they have to deal with (albeit not enough...). In my friend's case, I'm not quite sure why anyone would volunteer to deal with what he has to.

Jun 8, 2016
And I do not see this getting any better... This is the first summer that I was not actively coaching a team since 2005. Instead I worked closely with a few ex-players that are now playing in college (mostly hitting). Recently a friend asked me to help him coach for one tournament, as one of his assistants was not available. While it was fun, there was a lot of drama associated with the parents on his team. After the tournament he asked if I wanted to stay on and help out. I politely said "thanks, but no thanks". While I enjoy working with the players and watching them progress, I really have no interest in all the other garbage. Not stating I am a great coach, or anything. Just that some of the extracurricular activity is chasing some coaches away from youth sports. The same could be said about umpiring as well, but at least they are getting paid for the aggravation they have to deal with (albeit not enough...). In my friend's case, I'm not quite sure why anyone would volunteer to deal with what he has to.
That sucks. Those parents are missing out on a good learning experience for their kids because of their behavior. Maybe you can get the HC to tell the "water bottle throwing parents" to knock it off or he is going to choose you over them :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
girls are not going to get ready for TB playing rec as it stands now in most places...simple fact.

This has changed SO quickly. Like since my DD started playing 11 years ago.

Rec was absolutely the place that allowed players to develop into travel players (or not). There was no travel to play during rec season. Hard to believe it changed so quickly.

May 29, 2015
Maybe this is geographical but I swear every tryout ad I saw this year talked about getting them ready for college. Must be the age, going into 14U now. My daughter is 12 and she loves softball, and IMO is pretty good at it, but she's not interested in college right now. She'd play college ball if she didn't have to take classes (haha), but she isn't sure college is going to be the right career path for her. It's not easy, finding a decent 14U team with good coaching that isn't going to be traveling every weekend and playing in 3 or 4 expensive showcases.

Can I just pull that segment out for a second ... GOOD FOR HER!(y)

I mentioned earlier a bit about symptoms vs. problems ... this is one of the root issues that has driven this whole “must pay for college with sports” epidemic. Over the last few decades we got on this “MUST attend college kick”. I’LL save my big soap box for another day, but it is actually NOT necessary for every kid to go to college.

I know she is only 12, but if that mindset follows her as she gets older, encourage it and stick to it. Maybe she is interested in a trade or technical profession that doesn’t require college. Maybe a few years after graduating high school she realizes her calling and college will be needed, but at that point she has focus and purpose for a college education.

I am a HUGE advocate of not pushing kids into college straight from high school. It is ridiculous to spend that kind of money on a two-year social experience/experiment if the kid does not have a specific purpose for that education.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying