Toe Touch-Heel Plant Sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
I know Epstein can be learned quickly. IMO the mechanics Mike teaches are not what I see looking at video of MLB hitters. I don't wish to step on the happy times and success you and your daughter have enjoyed with Mike's stuff and that success does not surprise me at all. IMO if you were facing good gold pitching you would find some holes in Mike's approach but short of that, so what? She is having a big time in her pursuits and that's all that matters.

May 9, 2008
There's Gold In Them Thar Hills!

Mark,

The Gold level is still a couple of years away but I'll be glad to keep your posted on the results. I believe they'll be very favorable.

Keep Smiling,:)

Pops

May 12, 2008
Occurs to me to add gold should be pretty quick depending on her goals. D1's are looking at younger kids than many realize. Have you gotten a copy of Aradi's book yet?

Oct 25, 2009
Mark,

Where was Englishbey and Right View in the 1940's when Ted Williams was hitting .406? Why is it that 95% of the players who are in the MLB Hall Of Fame use the mechanics he taught Mike Epstein?

What elite level can a young girl aspire to? The Olympics? Not an option. NPF? Only 4 teams left. Japan? Maybe.

My point is that Epstein works and it can be learned in 3 days, my daughter did.

Who Loves Ya, Baby,

Pops

How does the Epstein system compare with say, Mike Candrea, or Ralph Weekly, others?

Also, what is the theory behind the front shoulder being higher than the rear shoulder? Finally, who is a really good example of a linear hitter; male and/or female?

Thanks.

May 9, 2008
Mark,

She was asked to try out for 18u this year. I held her back for social reasons i.e. she doesn't need teammates that are older, driving cars, and have boyfriends. She'll try out for a 16u and an 18 Gold next year.

I've had Aradi's book for two years now. I exchanged emails with her in September and she said that the Sophomore year in High School is the best time to enter the fray. We'll engage her services at that time.

Best Regards,

Pops

May 9, 2008
Softballphreak,

Mark, will be a better source for comparative info than I am.

Front shoulder higher allows the batted ball to go over the infielders head. 80% of ground balls are outs.

I can name good rotational hitters:

1. Albert Pujols
2. Samantha Findley

I don't think linear hitters are as good as these two.

Best Regards,

Pops

May 12, 2008
Mark,

She was asked to try out for 18u this year. I held her back for social reasons i.e. she doesn't need teammates that are older, driving cars, and have boyfriends. She'll try out for a 16u and an 18 Gold next year.

I've had Aradi's book for two years now. I exchanged emails with her in September and she said that the Sophomore year in High School is the best time to enter the fray. We'll engage her services at that time.

Best Regards,

Pops

Sounds like you are on top of it.

May 12, 2008
Softballphreak,

Mark, will be a better source for comparative info than I am.

Front shoulder higher allows the batted ball to go over the infielders head. 80% of ground balls are outs.

I can name good rotational hitters:

1. Albert Pujols
2. Samantha Findley

I don't think linear hitters are as good as these two.

Best Regards,

Pops

Well there's probably more definitions of rotational and linear than you can count on one hand. I don't characterize hitters as rotational and linear. They are either effective and efficient or they are not. Slappers being a separate category. Anyone have a clip of a linear hitter? Some have argued there really is no such thing as a "linear" hitter but that rather it's a marketing term. I do agree there are many who teach such stupid things such as Photo 18 of 31, Analysis. I would characterize this clip as a massive push disconnect (disconnecting the bat from the rotating torso/arm swing).

May 12, 2008
How does the Epstein system compare with say, Mike Candrea, or Ralph Weekly, others?.

Epstein was one of the first followed by Mankin to put out videos preaching against the straight hands to the ball teaching. Both of them are due credit though I think they have been eclipsed. You can go to Epstein's site, look at his before and afters and see what he's promoting. Candrea used to teach some hybrid "fp" swing till he hooked up with Don Slaught of RightView who brought him along way toward what Englishbey would teach. Don got Candrea and Enquist on video saying the fp swing is the MLB swing which of course was huge for the sport. Don is big on comparison to the best. I'd like to see him expand that comparison to the view from the back stop and I'd like to see him lose the rock skipping cue and we could talk about his negative move cue vs loading but overall, he's trying to emulate the ML swing which is a worthy goal. Last I saw Weekly is a rotate hard take the hands straight to the ball guy which of course I disagree with. That information is old so...

Also, what is the theory behind the front shoulder being higher than the rear shoulder?

Depends on what view we are talking about. The view in the first five clips on this link Analysis or this kind of front shoulder higher than the rear Photo 24 of 31, Analysis

Finally, who is a really good example of a linear hitter; male and/or female?

Good question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi