Toe Touch-Heel Plant Sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Someone want to try to walk me through the front foot sequence? Seeing a lot of my U14s not able to rotate because they're landing on their heel which affects their balance and limits the hip turn. By "heel plant" are we talking about landing balanced (more on the ball of the foot i.e. "toe touch"?) and then the weight shifts to the heel after rotation begins?

Please enlighten me, don't know if I misunderstand or if its just a matter of semantics!

Thanks - Greenmonsters:D

May 9, 2008
Heel Plant

Hi Green,

Are these 14 year olds rotational hitters? If not then their swing mechanics may not allow them to rotate their hips properly.

My daughter is 14 and learned rotationally hitting from Mike Epstein, in a 3 day camp a couple of years ago here in Denver. You can read about it in a thread entitled "Rotational Hitting" in the hitting section on this website. Jake Epstein (Mike's son), is her hitting coach. She has thrived ever since. As a Freshman in High School this year (Colorado has an August to October season) she was first on her team in Batting Avg., OBP, and OPS.

For rotational hitters who do not use a stride their feet should be apart about the length of the bat that they swing with the lead foot slightly in front of their body and the back foot slightly behind their body. Their arms and bat should be back by their rear shoulder. Their back elbow slotted at their side with the lead shoulder slightly higher and the back leg bent with the knee acting as a hinge so that the batter can adjust to the plane of the pitch. A small twist of the torso creates torque like winding a rubber band. The ball of the front foot should be planted and the heel raised creating a balanced stance. The heel drops acting as a trigger for the swing. It should be timed to begin with the start of the pitchers motion if they wait for the release of the ball to begin their swing they are guaranteed to be late. The front leg straightens and acts as a brace as the rotation of the body begins. Timing is the key and most 14 year olds are only beginning to master the process.

If they use a stride in a rotational swing they should only use a short one or even just raise the front foot up in the air and then back down. When the foot lands it should be in a position so that there is a bat's length between the front and the back leg. They should land on the ball of the foot and then drop their heel to actuate their swing. The hips then turn and the torque is released as the torso and hands follow through.

You can see swing video of students, get more info, and a list of Epstein qualified instructors in your area at Hitting - Rotational Hitting - Mike Epstein Rotational Hitting

Good Luck,

Pops

May 12, 2008
Someone want to try to walk me through the front foot sequence? Seeing a lot of my U14s not able to rotate because they're landing on their heel which affects their balance and limits the hip turn. By "heel plant" are we talking about landing balanced (more on the ball of the foot i.e. "toe touch"?) and then the weight shifts to the heel after rotation begins?

Please enlighten me, don't know if I misunderstand or if its just a matter of semantics!

Thanks - Greenmonsters:D

Best we use video because a lot of your question hinges on definitions, or as you say, semantics. In a great swing the pelvis is rotating before heel plant. Photo 11 of 31, Analysis

I like this swing a lot. Photo 5 of 16, Fastpitch

Here's another very good very simple swing. Photo 9 of 16, Fastpitch

I see a lot of really good rotation taking place here after heel plant as well as some pelvic rotation before heel plant. You don't land on your heel but it does need to plant. And yeah, most 14's don't rotate very well period. Just don't know how.

May 9, 2008
Hi Mark,

I've been away from this place for a long time. I still owe you pitching video of my daughter. I trust you've been your same sweet self. I see you've been busy posting as usual.

Best Regards,

Pops

Attachments

• pauly10.JPG
    pauly10.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • osterman10.jpg
    osterman10.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 17

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Balance

Thanks Pops,

Mechanically, the girls are rotational hitters, while some are advanced and consistently successful, some are still trying to make the transition from being just arms/hands swingers. The common thing I'm seeing w/ the ones struggling is that they're landing too much on the front heel and end up out of balance and can't complete the movement. We're working on shortening strides and making sure they're balanced upon front foot landing or actually eliminating the stride at least for now. Any favorite drills you can suggest to work on this?

BTW - Found an Epstein 3-day camp coming up nearby that I'm serioiusly considering.

Greenmonsters:D

May 12, 2008
Epstein's stuff will get you to a certain level IMO. I prefer Englishbey's stuff first and Right View second.

May 9, 2008
Results

G. M.,

The proof is in the pudding. My daughter upped her batting average from around .230 to over .450 after the 3 day Epstein camp. She's continued to take private lessons from Jake Epstein over the past year and a half. She lead all high school Varsity Freshman at the 4A level in Batting Average and On Base Percentage even though her teams schedule was against mainly 5A pitchers (13 out of the 16 games she appeared in) this season. There were only two other Freshman who had better numbers than her in Colorado. One played 5A and the other played 3A. I think if your daughter goes to the camp it would be the best investment you could ever make for her in regards to hitting.

Regarding drills. I'd suggest that you have the girls place their bat lengthwise on the floor. Have them place the toe of the front foot behind the front end of the bat and the heel of the back foot in front of the other end of the bat. Holding that stance have them pick up their bats and put them on their back shoulders. Have them raise their front heel, putting their weight on the back leg. With their bats on their back shoulders have them rotate backwards (this will put them in a torque position) their front shoulder should be slightly higher than the back one. Bend the rear knee. Have them drop their front heel to trigger their forward rotation. Keeping their bats close to their body with their back elbow slotted at their side they should rotate forward bringing the bat off their shoulder and releasing the torque in their body. They will transfer their weight to the forward thy as they straighten the front leg the back knee will bend. The movement should be slow and deliberate (think Tai Chi) The movement will be like cradling a baby as they swing. They do not need to follow through. Have them do 10 repetitions every practice. You can visit the Epstein website for info on his videos that show you this drill and others in more detail.

Good Luck,

Pops

May 9, 2008
Hey Mark,

Mike Epstein made it to the bigs and hit 30 homeruns (team regular season leader) the season the A's won the World Series in 1972. He was coached and mentored by Ted Williams who gave him his only written hitting endorsement ever. I think that qualifies as a "certain level".

I'm Just Saying,

Pops

May 12, 2008
I understand and I don't want to offend you. What I'm saying is, what Mike describes is not what I see elite hitters doing. I did Epstein first. No doubt his stuff will give you a lot of fun against most high school pitching. OTOH, I understand he has new material out with updates on his drills so who knows. I continued my education reading everything anyone else said about hitting all the while comparing it to slow motion video of elite hitters. I would encourage you to do the same. Having said that, if a kid is hitting as well as they want to at the highest level they aspire to, don't change.

May 9, 2008
What Hitting System is Best For Young Girls?

Mark,

Where was Englishbey and Right View in the 1940's when Ted Williams was hitting .406? Why is it that 95% of the players who are in the MLB Hall Of Fame use the mechanics he taught Mike Epstein?

What elite level can a young girl aspire to? The Olympics? Not an option. NPF? Only 4 teams left. Japan? Maybe.

My point is that Epstein works and it can be learned in 3 days, my daughter did.

Who Loves Ya, Baby,

Pops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi