To speak or not to speak?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
Once the all-star team is selected for next summer, after about 3-4 practices, the prospective infield will be set and while everyone will drill on the same skills, starting infielders will do infield practice while the rest of the team does something else. The summer season is only about 8 weeks long, so the staff won't have time to make sure everything is fair and balanced with respect to who practices what.

All-Stars is a different animal from 10U TB, and has to be treated this way, because of the reasons you stated. Basically, it is a short, win or go home season. You have to find positions, and practice them.

My DD played All-Stars. She had been a 1B/3B through the season, but was placed in RF for All-Stars. She was a little put out by it at first, but she did great - even won some game MVPs at it.

In All-Stars, you are trying to put the best team on the field. Your best SS may play outfiled, because she is also one your 3 best OF's, and your 2nd best SS can capably fill in. Parents and players need to understand that going in.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
This has been an interesting read all around. I cannot say I agree with anyone person in 100% of their perspective. There are too many variables in the sport and it would take a book to go over them here. I see it as somewhere in between. Find a team that fits your values. If it is win at all cost then go ahead but take some TUMS as it will be an interesting ride. If it is to learn a great game and meet friends and have fun then expect to loose until the team clicks and that could take a while. As a coach no matter the age we must balance competition, teaching and managing. After all we are playing a team sport and while Players want to be on the team, want to be accepted, want to be part of the action, want to be with friends and want to learn new stuff..... They also want to win too. Not all the time mind you. But be competitive not blown out and win sometimes. While at any age the world does not stop spinning if they loose, winning is important at some level. Bottom line - Everything in balance.

Feb 28, 2011
Update:

Well I never really spoke to the coach and I'm not sure if it was the right decision or not. She was never given the opportunity in a tournament to play the infield and I could kind of tell that her coach was not pushing her as much as she was other. To me that's a sign that the coach really doesn't believe in your potential. At the official tryouts in December she was cut from the team. Very disappointing, but my daughter took the news extremely well. Her response to the news was "Okay, guess I'll just have to practice harder". The coach said she was cut because she had not progressed as much as she hoped and that maybe she just wasn't the right coach for her. My dd really enjoyed her time off during Christmas but when I asked her if she wanted to do a softball camp that was being offerred she told me she wanted to take a break and only play rec ball. Should I be concerned that she has lost her love for the game? This is the 3rd tryout in the past year, which she has not made the team. I am trying to be realisitic knowing that she may not be the best player but I know she is better than the average player. Is being cut from 3 different teams a sign that she is not good enough to play travel sb? As I said before her running speed and quickness is her weakness. Just not sure where to go from here. I'm looking for some objective opinions.

Feb 3, 2011
Update:

Well I never really spoke to the coach and I'm not sure if it was the right decision or not. She was never given the opportunity in a tournament to play the infield and I could kind of tell that her coach was not pushing her as much as she was other. To me that's a sign that the coach really doesn't believe in your potential. At the official tryouts in December she was cut from the team. Very disappointing, but my daughter took the news extremely well. Her response to the news was "Okay, guess I'll just have to practice harder". The coach said she was cut because she had not progressed as much as she hoped and that maybe she just wasn't the right coach for her. My dd really enjoyed her time off during Christmas but when I asked her if she wanted to do a softball camp that was being offerred she told me she wanted to take a break and only play rec ball. Should I be concerned that she has lost her love for the game? This is the 3rd tryout in the past year, which she has not made the team. I am trying to be realisitic knowing that she may not be the best player but I know she is better than the average player. Is being cut from 3 different teams a sign that she is not good enough to play travel sb? As I said before her running speed and quickness is her weakness. Just not sure where to go from here. I'm looking for some objective opinions.
She's telling you what she wants to do. She's 9 years old and wants to play rec ball. This will give her a chance to participate in an enjoyable activity with her friends, while also developing her skills. Is she an All-Star caliber player? If so, then allow her the opportunity to compete for a spot on the summer All-star team.

Jul 26, 2010
She's 9 and made a decision, be happy!

Honestly, wait until she's 11 to figure out if travel ball is something she does or does not want to do. 10U travel ball is for the parents, not the kids. The kids that excel at 10u are not the ones who are necessarily good at 12u and 14u, and vice versa. In 10u travel there isn't enough emphasis on doing things correctly, but more of an emphasis on "do what you gotta do to get through it", which develops all sorts of bad habits that you'd spend the next 5 years fixing.

The "I might not be the right coach for her" comment troubles me. This points to a personality issue. It may be the coach, but it may not be. Take a good retrospective look at your daughters attitude, effort, and hustle over the last year. These are the most important traits that a coach can't necessarily give a kid, but are absolutely essential in order for ability to be taught.

-W

Apr 1, 2010
What is your daughter's personality like? Will she be happy playing rec? A lot of girls are just fine with that. Or do you think she will become dissatisfied and unhappy at that level? It is a game after all; she should find a place to play that makes her happy. If she thinks she'd be happier in rec right now, why not try it? She may be happy there or she may decide that she wants to step it up and move back up a level.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
She's 9 and made a decision, be happy!
I could not agree more. Talking with them and letting the be involved in the decision is important at this age.
She made a decision let it be final. After all she is the one playing and it is for her enjoyment. Who knows you might find more enjoyment merely seeing your DD when she is smiling and enjoying herself with less pressure.

In 10u travel there isn't enough emphasis on doing things correctly, but more of an emphasis on "do what you gotta do to get through it", which develops all sorts of bad habits that you'd spend the next 5 years fixing.

Not sure I completely agree here. Where we live the volunteer dad's in rec ball want to win as well and know little about the game except that they enjoy watching baseball on TV and think, "How hard could it be to coach." Not so sure rec ball is the answer to all teaching of the game either. I just think you gotta make Lemonade from the lemons life hands you sometimes. If your daughter wants to play Rec then go for it. Try TB later if she is into it again. Maybe she will develop a group of friends and find a team converting into TB where she know some people and the coaches are learning and more willing to hang with kids rather than find the next great "thing" out there.

The "I might not be the right coach for her" comment troubles me. This points to a personality issue. It may be the coach, but it may not be. Take a good retrospective look at your daughters attitude, effort, and hustle over the last year. These are the most important traits that a coach can't necessarily give a kid, but are absolutely essential in order for ability to be taught. -W

I could not agree more here. I think she was just to afraid to say she did not like your daughter level of play. I view this as problematic. I do not view in terms of weaker or stronger players but rather unique different. It is after all a team sport. And in a team some will be good at one thing and others will be good at yet another. It is the ability to work as a team and build each other up that motivates and energizes players to hustle, go after it harder, play with more vigor and determination. I have to say if your daughter was giving it her all with this coach wait until you find a good coach and you will be amazed at what she puts into the game. I feel this coach may have been right in more ways that she realized....Maybe she was not the "right" coach for her. Maybe not for anyone? hmmm????

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Apologies starsnuffer for quoting you I just loved what you said and agreed with most of it. I Identify with the comments as it hits my age group. I do not believe in TB at 10U as it is entirely too early for my taste. I think the possibilities for unnecessary pressure on a child this age are pitfalls. I think the desire of a parent to win can take over due to the monetary and time investments of it. However in our part of the world if kids who want learn more of the game and are willing to dedicate time to learn they must leave rec ball. We do not have an all-star program. We have all-stars which is an extension of the rec season (politics involved and all) and it is a one weekend tournament. Once over that is it. There are far to many coaches are not dedicated to the sport who once games start practices end. What options do you have. So I moved a group into TB. At first we opened up for tryouts and picked up 3-4 kids from outside the county. I fast learned they all were willing to make the extensive drive b/c they wanted to win at all costs (including singling out players as being less talented then their own DD :mad:), Get noticed by other organizational teams that are well known in hopes it helps their college career one day :rolleyes:, or they had burnt bridges elsewhere and were not willing to move back into rec ball :eek:. We have since cut them or let all of them move on. The core group left still LOVES IT! Even when we lose a game these girls have so much fun and work so hard. They love going to different parks, seeing all the other players their age, seeing the talent and what they could do if they worked at it and sometimes being the talent looked up to by a few teams. I thought we abused them by working them so often each week and for so long last summer and fall yet they were all so excited when we met for our first session after winter break this past weekend. This told me a lot! The the OP'er I say should your DD change her mind and want to try TB again, look around, be observant, and ask the right questions of parents and the coach before committing to a team. Know what you are getting an compare it against what you want for your player that will help navigate this world of TB. But there is no shame in Rec Ball at all so if she still wants to play at that level support it, love it and enjoy the time with her as these days are far to short. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red