To Raykr or not to Raykr....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So any you folks out there have anything to state on these unique batting gloves?

Having a pitcher DD I like the concept of protecting her hands.

I don't like the $70 price though...., that's for sure.

Anyone know of any good alternatives for less $$?

(Note that I have a pair of "lefty" Xprotex I bought by mistake I would let go for a steal... Womens Large Blk/Grey)

Jul 11, 2009

I don't like the $70 price though...., that's for sure.

Anyone know of any good alternatives for less $$?

Go to xprotex.com and click on "outlet". All there 2011 models are on clearance and Raykrs are still there. On sale for $35, but colors and sizes are limited. Also a while back I received an email that said all 2011 stuff was buy one get one free, even the on sale stuff. So shoot em an email and see if that sale is still on. My daughter uses the reaktr glove liner ( she is a catcher) and also uses xprotex batting gloves, a model below the raykrs I believe.

Dec 7, 2011
Great info on the outlet - thanks!

We just got back from the mall and got something called "The Claw". It's got carbon-fiber guards for the back of the hand. Maybe a gimic but it got me n DD.....

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Do either of these products protect the fingertip, or the krushr perhaps?
DD just rehab'ed a broken finger, and I'd like a little armor over that for a while.

Dec 7, 2011
"The Claw" is mostly a main-back-of-the-hand protection with these little pieces for the first knuckle down. These were $10 on clearance sale at the local sports mega-plex. I still can't decide whether these are a great find or something that I just got "sold" on with my fever to protect my DD being a pitcher.

Last year my DD had to pitch the entire year as a freshman on varsity in a very competative HS conference because the returning varsity pitcher broke her hand slapping in the first game of the season. I have seen how fast a season-ending broken hand can happen....

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I usually only worry if the girl is a right-handed throw and a left-handed bat (or visa versa), in which case the throwing hand is the bottom hand on the bat and more likely to get hit on the hand (rather than the fingers). If that is the case, I would also consider an elbow guard as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you want hand protection while batting then cricket players use these :)

Amazon.com: Adidas Pro Batting Gloves: Sports & Outdoors

Overkill? Yes (cricket players face a bouncing ball plus if they are good/playing well they can face a couple of hundred balls per bat versus an average of probably about 5 per bat for softball/baseball)

I played cricket for years and they really do protect the hand from the ball and they are really no different in feel to most batting gloves I have seen except for the obvious bulk. Never tried them with a softball/baseball bat but I don't see why they wouldn't work although the handle of a cricket bat is a little bigger.

Dec 7, 2011
Wow - those are extreme! BUT potentially just what the doctor ordered for thos recovering from a bad hand injury.

I wonder if umpires have any issue with those...?

Regardless, I am going to forward this link along to my friend who's DD got hurt last year.

Thanks!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If they search for 'Cricket Gloves' they should find a few options. I am thinking they may need to cut off any thumb padding but otherwise they might be worth a shot.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
For the xprotex try eBay. There's a company called Zoombang that makes a pad that covers the back of the hand. Allstar makes a batting glove with the d30 material that covers the back of the hand and Evo-shield just came out with a batting glove but I don't know if they have youth sizes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi