Tis the season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
Where teams that qualify for national tournaments play people who didn't help the team qualify over those who did; when the same teams will start complaining of lack of loyalty amongst players and parents who search for new opportunities on different teams, where hopefully the same thing won't happen next year. I know, I know, everyone else is doing it and to keep up with the Joneses everyone feels like they have to stack a team to play against other stacked teams, but whatever happened to dancing with the girl you came with? Please just stop the whining if parents and players decide to move on after you decided they weren't good enough to play for all the marbles.

Jun 8, 2016
Where teams that qualify for national tournaments play people who didn't help the team qualify over those who did; when the same teams will start complaining of lack of loyalty amongst players and parents who search for new opportunities on different teams, where hopefully the same thing won't happen next year. I know, I know, everyone else is doing it and to keep up with the Joneses everyone feels like they have to stack a team to play against other stacked teams, but whatever happened to dancing with the girl you came with? Please just stop the whining if parents and players decide to move on after you decided they weren't good enough to play for all the marbles.
Feel better now?? 😉

Jun 10, 2018
NY
Its a cutthroat environment, the drama and lack of fairness and loyalty rots. I was glad when my DD had had enough and told me she was done! We never looked back.

Nov 18, 2013
IMO a coach owes it to their team to make them more competitive for Nationals. Far better to sit some and play 4-6 bracket games than play every inning and go 0-2. Of course there’s no guarantee you won’t go 0-2 anyway, but it greatly increases the chances of making a deeper run.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Tis the season when coaches pick up players for Nationals and don't bother telling anyone that they're doing it. A strange pitcher or catcher just shows up. Breeds discontent and resentment. And I agree with the OP; if you don't have confidence in your rostered players, work on COACHING them and developing them vs. looking for the next shiny thing.

Nov 18, 2013
Tis the season when coaches pick up players for Nationals and don't bother telling anyone that they're doing it. A strange pitcher or catcher just shows up. Breeds discontent and resentment. And I agree with the OP; if you don't have confidence in your rostered players, work on COACHING them and developing them vs. looking for the next shiny thing.

Coaches should definitely make sure families are aware what they’re going to do it. Preferably at the teams opening meeting. If that’s done I don’t think it breeds discontent. Quite the opposite. 90% of the team is thankful to have more girls to help them out. Where the resentment lies is toward the players who’ve been with the team all year and haven’t taken it seriously enough to be counted on. Can’t coach a girl who doesn’t show up at every practice. Life happens, but the dedicated players still find a way to get their training in.

Feb 15, 2017
Is it the players weren't prepared for Nationals because they didn't work hard enough or did the coach work enough to make them pepared?

What werr the players told before the season began as to how nationals would be handled?

Did the add on players pay their own way or was their costs covered by the other players over the season through fund raising or other methods?

Is the purpose of the team to collect trophies or prepare the girls who have been there all year to perform at the next level?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Coaches should definitely make sure families are aware what they’re going to do it. Preferably at the teams opening meeting. If that’s done I don’t think it breeds discontent. Quite the opposite. 90% of the team is thankful to have more girls to help them out. Where the resentment lies is toward the players who’ve been with the team all year and haven’t taken it seriously enough to be counted on. Can’t coach a girl who doesn’t show up at every practice. Life happens, but the dedicated players still find a way to get their training in.

Our HC last year brought in pickups on three occasions that I'm aware of when he didn't even tell his Assistant coaches, much less the team. Transparency goes a long way; send an email saying, "Susie Smith will be picking up with us in CO to help out with pitching and so our pitchers won't get exhausted over the week-long tournament. Help us welcome her and her family." We had a pickup catcher show up in CO and there was no need for her (we have a primary catcher and 5 girls who can sub in as needed). THAT breeds resentment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi