Tired of being ignored, 10u mom walks INTO dugout to fuss at coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I assumed at first that he must be her husband, because he was being very patient and listening to her concerns while also trying to coach the team.

He is probably single and practicing; if he knows what's good for him! It sounds to me like her has good instincts. I have no idea bout his softball instincts.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Donnie, I had something similar, but from the kid. The parents were great. They were from Orange County, CA, and their daughter played on a team that finished 6th at Nationals the year before. She hit well, but I had her in RF. We were doing well, but eventually lost to the team that finished 2nd that year at 18U Nationals. We got beat pretty bad, something like 8-1. She had made a lot of trouble during the season and was quite a liar and trouble maker. I was sitting next to the dugout when I heard her tell the team that she, "was too good to be playing with them". I got up, walked into the dugout, and asked her to come with me. I took her to her parents and told them what had happened. I told them she was off the team. We ended up getting beat soundly shortly after that game by the team that would eventually play our first conqueror, and finished 3rd.

We were a pretty good team considering our SS got a broken wrist and our top pitcher a broken tibia in the NW Regionals. Her parents asked me if she could play the next season, and I said no. I don't know if she ever played again there because I moved away during the summer; but not for me! By the way, those are the only two broken bones any of my players have ever gotten. Strange luck!

Donnie, you did well. And Amy that is what makes sports lose it's glamor. Parents for me have always been 10x worse than players. In fact, I didn't have any trouble with kids in college except infraction issues such as drugs, drinking, and classes. But behavior was never a big issue that plagued me.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You are so right. But....don't judge that coach too harshly. Is this his only pitcher? I know a coach who gave his stud pitcher's mom way too much say so in the goings on last year. Total stud team. This year that pitcher is no longer with him. It's easy to say you would show them the door. It's another to face the rest of the season with no pitching. Not sure what I would do myself. Now if this kid was less of an impact player, well.......

I agree, if that was my only pitcher, might just ask the mom to leave "politely" for the rest of that game. Even if that meant her just walking away and taking a few minutes in the parking lot.

If that didn't work I'd stand up off my bucket and my 6' 1" 230 pound self would help her out of my dugout. And then hope her husband is not 6' 2" 250. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877