Tinsy winsy little itty bitty leap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2011
My 10 yr old DD is pitching really well and nobody has said anything about it, but I notice a little leap. Her drags start about an inch or two away from where they should. Her drag foot remains low with toe pointed down but loses contact with the ground for a tiny little instance.

She is about to start a more serious and formal competition and I was wondering what others have seen as far as tolerance to a teny tiny leap?

I am reluctant to change anything right now because she is pitching so well.

Mar 15, 2011
I've seen this happen a lot and before you can consider it an illegal "leap" you have to consider the surface in front of the rubber. The drag toe can legally break contact with the ground if the dirt in front of the rubber is below the normal grade. For example, most pitching rubbers have depression in front of them caused by pitchers digging in, dragging and general wear. If the toe WOULD have remained in contact with the ground if not for the displaced dirt, then it isn't a leap. In other words the ground going away from the drag toe is different than the toe elevating above the normal grade.

Nov 29, 2009
Many pitchers will do that. It's not necessarily a leap but is a result of the pivot transitioning from the push to the drag. So long as she's not pointing the toe sideways I doubt she'll get called for any illegal pitches.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My 10 yr old DD is pitching really well and nobody has said anything about it, but I notice a little leap. Her drags start about an inch or two away from where they should. Her drag foot remains low with toe pointed down but loses contact with the ground for a tiny little instance.

She is about to start a more serious and formal competition and I was wondering what others have seen as far as tolerance to a teny tiny leap?

I am reluctant to change anything right now because she is pitching so well.

Is she an old 10U or a young 12u? This may make all the difference in the world.

&u's and 10u's are considered the training ages. 12u and older, they are expected to know the rules and play by them.

No umpire wants to say anything that might discourage a young player,, ESPECIALLY a pitcher. They might say it to their coach but out of earshot of the player. Thats the way it is supposed to be done. Even at the 12u level, you enforce it in a firm but nice way, an educational tone to that enforcement. The decision to enforce that regulation is normally left up to the UIC of that particular tourney or league.

Again, if she is going to 12u travel ball, it will be noticed and enforced in almost every case.

Jul 21, 2008
Again, if she is going to 12u travel ball, it will be noticed and enforced in almost every case.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement if her toe is pointed down I don't think she will ever be called for an IP. Most ump don't want to call the IP and most wont call it unless they get a complaint from coach. I would still say that 99% of the time the IP will still not be called even with complaint from coach at the 12u level.

Oct 22, 2009
Again, if she is going to 12u travel ball, it will be noticed and enforced in almost every case.

I disagree with this statement if her toe is pointed down I don't think she will ever be called for an IP. Most ump don't want to call the IP and most wont call it unless they get a complaint from coach. I would still say that 99% of the time the IP will still not be called even with complaint from coach at the 12u level.[/QUOTE]

Every now and then my pitchers will tell me after a tournament that the umpires were coming down hard on crow-hoppers.
I had one of mine had an umpire tell her coach that she was "almost" crow-hopping. Her coach told the blue, "Then she's "almost" not crow-hopping, so what's the problem?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad