Frustrated...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Back to your post. Twelve year olds don’t have “nasty” change ups. Ask the parents of the college pitchers how many pitchers they see with “nasty” change ups and its very few. Most girls by twelve are developing one, but since your DD started late I wouldn’t worry about it. Pitching is a long journey. Don’t worry about having seven different pitches. Her increase in speed which tells me at least something her PC is teaching is working. A “natural break” is likely a sign that somethings off. Talk to the PC. Find out his plan. My hunch is he’s holding off until she masters basic mechanics and you may be jumping ship too soon. He might be a clown, but I see so many kids switch PC’s every year and they’re a total mess. Good luck you your DD. Be patient and get as much information as you can before making rash decisions.

Typical progression for a new pitcher is a) 1st year you learn a four-seam fastball b) once you become proficient with the fastball and fairly accurate you can move on to the changeup. Most kids can live off the fastball and change-up for several years, depending on the age they started.

When my 7YO DD learned pitch, she only had a fastball (1st 8 months) and change-up from 8U to 1st year 12U and was farily effective (e.g. pitched in championship game 10U ASA western nationals). She actually had a "nasty" modified flip change that is still her "signature" pitch. Her PC would always try to teach her movement pitches but I didn't let them introduce them until she was in 2nd year 12U. She is now almost 15YO and has a nice compliment of pitches: riseball, curve, drop curve, drop ball and change-up. However her best pitches are still the first 2 she learned (the four seam fastbball (i.e. converted to a drop ball) and her flip change (which has some side spin).

Lastly, my DD has played with and/or against some of the top pitchers in SoCal and I can't think of any one of them who used group lessons regularly and pretty much all of them have a one-on-one PC. They also have a crazy bucket dad/mom who who regularly and frequently work with their DDs to get better. Some may even frequent this site :)

Mar 26, 2013
Just beware of where you go when you leave, here aren't many Internal Rotation based instructors in East Texas. Most teach Hello Elbow or even if they are IR based, don't break down and teach the motion sufficiently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi