Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2019
Illinois
My DD is messing up timing from her release when she focuses on striding taller and longer. It seams her release is good OR her stride is good but very seldom are they done well together. She is past trying slow drills as she times those very well in every warm up. Are there any drills to coordinate timing in a full stride/at full speed?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Late and high

That's not uncommon when starting. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to pay attention to making a mechanical change and at the same time worry about throwing strikes. Make the change first and get it grooved, then go back to accuracy. Long toss is great for standing tall, if you can get outside, and you don't worry about accuracy when you do it.

Aug 21, 2008
My DD is messing up timing from her release when she focuses on striding taller and longer. It seams her release is good OR her stride is good but very seldom are they done well together. She is past trying slow drills as she times those very well in every warm up. Are there any drills to coordinate timing in a full stride/at full speed?

I guess I'm not understanding.... "striding taller and longer". Is this for a particular pitch or is she working on not bending over?

Bill

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah gotta define what you mean. Unless your DD was just kind of stepping off and not driving at all she could have been told to drive more "up and out". Usually coach might notice one or the other and suggest either focusing either more on up or out part of drive....but without video we are kind of grasping at straws.

Nov 8, 2018
What can tell ya is that if she is increasing her stride length for sure timing is going to be effected. One rule. Striding further isn’t always better. Especially if it messes the timing of things. Timing , IMHO, is more important than stride length.
She should have whatever stride length gets her the best timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
While stride length and timing are related it is not an either/or proposition. You can have great timing and a short stride or great timing and a long stride. The most important part of the stride is not the distance the stride foot gets it is the distance the hips get forward. Long stride and lots of bend is not helpful. Long stride to great posture is helpful.

You might try telling your DD to speed up the release portion of the arm circle. Don't release early, release faster. That has worked with a lot of my pitchers.

Nov 29, 2009
Without a video the only thing anyone can do is guess. From what you describe it sounds like your DD may be confused. What you may need to tell her is to drive forward harder, not stride further. If she is just stepping then she'll over-stride and it will throw off the timing of her mechanics.

Try doing some walk-thru drills. Then have her do them faster and push off harder while driving out, not up, harder as she speeds up her steps.

One of the ques I use with new pitchers to get them to visualize what they need to do is to picture a rabbit running. When a rabbit runs they drive forward without going up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16