Timing: What's more difficult?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
If these slow pitchers are so effective at throwing off hitters, why don't coaches look for them during tryouts?

Obsession with speed. On our team we gave a gunner who the coach names as the number one pitcher, but stat wise she is 3rd in k's. 3rd in fps. And 2nd in walks. But he likes her because she is fast.

To answer the original question, I've seen some success with a true gunner followed by a good junk baller. With the junk baller throwing slower but locating very well

Jun 23, 2011
NC
It takes discipline to hit off speed pitching well, something most players at lower levels lack, it also takes a sequentially correct swing again something most lack. Its just that simple, anyone with a half way correct swing can load up on the heat and crush one every once and a while, as I tell some ," even a blind chicken gets a piece of corn sometime"

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Speaking from my 14u team last summer, whenever they faced a decent pitcher (55 mph-ish) they would hit like beasts, but LORD help us if a 40ish girl came in... that looked like a joke.

I've seen the same thing quite a few times with both of my DDs' teams.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
At 12's and 14's I've sure seen a lot of kids struggle to adjust to a slow pitcher, not even ones with movement. Even though the best hitters adjust quickest, nobody takes reps at those speeds or trajectories.
Don't think you'd want to go more than once through the lineup, but I've seen it work to eat 1-2 innings out of desperation.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Warren Spahn stated "hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing". I think it is a combination of mixing speeds and locations. But the pitchers not blessed with top level speed need to be better at both. At lower levels I have seen pitchers overpower teams just because of speed. That gets more and more difficult as you advance in age group and talent level, but is still possible. If Jamie Moyer throws a fastball down the middle of the plate, I would expect it to go a long way. However, if Aroldis Chapman throws the same pitch, it could still result in a strike out.

Sep 17, 2009
A legitimately fast pitcher is very difficult to hit. The problem is most pitchers who think they are fast really aren't ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01