Timing the pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2009
One thing that I have observed is that most if not all pitchers can be timed by a rhythm or cadence if you will, that if you study them you can develope that cadence on when to sweep the zone. Generally from intiatation of the windup to their throwing their arms back is generally one count. From the arms starting the windmil to the top is two count, release from the hand three count, sweep the zone on four count, slower pitchers a four and a half, to five count. It can almost become like a sing song count in your head. You can slow down or speed up the cadence as necessary to adapt to each pitcher and speed. This has worked for my daughter at the lower levels. When change ups come into play it can unravel this concept to a certain degree unless she can keep her hands back and make the adjustment like any other approach to the changeup. Hope this helps, I know it helped my DD. Of course if you have no rhytym it may not work for you ;-)

Oct 19, 2009
One thing that I have observed is that most if not all pitchers can be timed by a rhythm or cadence if you will, that if you study them you can develope that cadence on when to sweep the zone. Generally from intiatation of the windup to their throwing their arms back is generally one count. From the arms starting the windmil to the top is two count, release from the hand three count, sweep the zone on four count, slower pitchers a four and a half, to five count. It can almost become like a sing song count in your head. You can slow down or speed up the cadence as necessary to adapt to each pitcher and speed. This has worked for my daughter at the lower levels. When change ups come into play it can unravel this concept to a certain degree unless she can keep her hands back and make the adjustment like any other approach to the changeup. Hope this helps, I know it helped my DD. Of course if you have no rhytym it may not work for you ;-)

As you advised I’ve told kids to get a rhythm of a favorite song and use this for timing and it some cases it seems to have worked. Alabama has A hitter and I don't recall her name with her rhythm and movement changed with the pitcher, it started out slow and got faster as the pitcher got faster and closer to deliver of the ball.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
I've always been taught to step when the pitcher steps. Its something that everyone in my teams were taught and it's something I teach my kids.

Jul 26, 2010
I've always been taught to step when the pitcher steps. Its something that everyone in my teams were taught and it's something I teach my kids.

Likewise. Which is why I'm continually baffled as to why someone has yet to invent a pitching machine with a foot, but I digress. I teach load on backswing, step with the pitchers step.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Likewise. Which is why I'm continually baffled as to why someone has yet to invent a pitching machine with a foot, but I digress. I teach load on backswing, step with the pitchers step.

Not a lot of pitchers do the backswing here, but I'll keep it in mine as it is becoming more popular.

I'm not a fan of pitching machines, for this exact reason. I cannot get my timing right. I'd rather not use one. Thankfully I have coaches who can pitch BP (and are faster than the pitchers we face to boot!) but pitching machines, even with a person doing the arm, screws me up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck