Timing the pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
I am a first year 12u coach trying to teach my girls to time the pitcher while they are waiting on deck. I am wondering if any other coaches use this method and if so, has it worked for you? Thanks

Aug 2, 2008
How do you have them timing the pitcher? what part of the pitchers motion? The reason I ask is before I started reading on here I couldnt have answered that question. In general we have them loading when the pitcher is at the top of her K, and striding around the pitchers release window. Its one constant motion that requires alot of practice. As far as the on deck circle, your players can time the pitcher when they are watching from the dugout. Also, if you are in the 1st base dugout your batters (right handers) are allowed to use the on deck circle on the 3rd base side.

stv

May 12, 2010
Love to use that method. Except for some reason our rec league does not allow use of on deck circle. I dont understand why.

Feb 9, 2011
Works great for fast pitchers we even call time and move our players around to the left deck circle if we are in the 1st base dugout makes it feel more natural. The door coach also helps and lets her know if she is timing ahead of or behind the pitch.

Oct 19, 2009
Watch the video and notice the hitter in the backgroud, she is a mirrow image of the batter on timing the pitcher. If it's good enough for college program it should be good enough for 12 YO's.

[video]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/PEPPERSFARMS/WhitneyLarson.gif[/video]

:cool:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
How do you have them timing the pitcher? what part of the pitchers motion? The reason I ask is before I started reading on here I couldnt have answered that question. In general we have them loading when the pitcher is at the top of her K, and striding around the pitchers release window. Its one constant motion that requires alot of practice. As far as the on deck circle, your players can time the pitcher when they are watching from the dugout. Also, if you are in the 1st base dugout your batters (right handers) are allowed to use the on deck circle on the 3rd base side.

I've been telling them basically what you said as far as loading with the pitcher in the 12:00 position, and stepping when the pitcher steps. As far a getting them to time the pitcher from the dugout, I would love if they actually paid attention to the game on the field long enough to do that (that question could be a whole other thread). I did not know about using the other on deck circle.

Aug 2, 2008
As far a getting them to time the pitcher from the dugout, I would love if they actually paid attention to the game on the field long enough to do that

I hear ya,

Sounds like your on the right track. I was hoping sb family or others in there camp might post some stuff on how to work on timing in practice, I don't want to butcher there words to much.

Dec 25, 2010
That's an awesome link. thanks

Watch the video and notice the hitter in the backgroud, she is a mirrow image of the batter on timing the pitcher. If it's good enough for college program it should be good enough for 12 YO's.

[video]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/PEPPERSFARMS/WhitneyLarson.gif[/video]

:cool:

BLB

May 19, 2008
Individual players must find their own timing with regards to when to start what. The important thing is to get to heel plant at the right time. We have athletes who take a long stride, a short stride, no stride, etc. In the on deck circle, or even on the bench, they can start finding out when they should initiate their heel lift (example) in order to get to heel plant on time. With good mechanics, the hitter should be able to get to contact point against a moderately fast pitcher with their heel plant occurring just after the ball is beyond the 1/2 way point to the plate. Example, a 12 frame pitcher vs a 5 frame swing (HP to CP).

Oct 19, 2009
This is how I work with kids on timing, we move when the pitcher moves, the hands go in a clockwise circle (no extremes). The hands and body has rhythm and movement, muscles in movement are quicker to react. Remember no extremes movement is relaxed and not forced. We try to be loaded at the pitcher’s top of the K as the arm moves from the top of the K toward release the hitter starts her forward movement to toe touch, we want to be at toe touch at release point and heel plant shortly after. We think yes, yes, yes and no if it is a ball not no, no, no and then yes if it’s a strike. We stride into and are prepared to hit every pitch until we deside it is a ball.

I do a drill where I position myself in front of the hitter(s) and go through a pitching motion and the batter(s) react to my motion, I look for load at top of the K and toe touch when I get to release point. I call a number out at release point which references pitch location (1 low inside, 2 low middle, 3 low outside, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9) the hitter adjust their swing to hit a pitch in that location, works on timing and swings to hit different pitches.

Having said that, every pitcher and ever hitter requires adjustment form the hitter to be on time for that pitcher and a good pitcher does what they can to disrupt the hitters timing.

1- Dance with the pitcher - pitcher moves hitter starts moving rhythm and movement.
2- 12 O’clock load, load at the top of the K position.
3- Toe touch at pitcher release.
4- Look for fastball and adjust to the changeup.
5- Mind set is yes yes yes and then no at the last minute if it is a ball - not no no no and yes it it’s a strike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck