Timed Games or 7 innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Our team (14u) was in a tournament several weeks ago with 1hr drop dead pool games. Bracket games were time limited to 75 min. The championship game had a 90 min time limit. Now for the kicker, the IF game was 1 inning and if neither team won that inning, the international tie breaker would be used to determine the winner. Our team came out of the losers bracket and won the tournament with the extra inning, but most of the team, coaches, and parents really wanted to play the 90 minute time limit, win or lose.

My understanding is that the tournament director did not want to keep the kids late on Sunday as school is still in session in this area. Our game was finished by 5pm but the 12u championship game had not even started, so maybe the director had a valid reason as some teams had to travel 2-3 hours.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
My team played in one a few years back that had pool play of 75 minutes drop dead... no revert. Meaning, whatever the score when time ran out was how it was scored. So, if you won the coin flip you always took visitors so you could bat first. That usually meant you batted more times than the "Home" team. It was really weird.

Usually pool games are drop dead 60...and yes take goobies advice always pick visitors if you win the coin toss, won a couple pool games that way. Normal bracket is 75 or 80, I don't know how you could run any kind of organized tournament without time limits unless you want to do like another poster said and drive home at midnight every tournament.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One reason that people like HS ball is that it is a straight 7 innings. I have never liked time limits, which were only created to make money at the expense of the real game. 60 minute time limits is not real softball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Time limits certainly change the dynamics of how a game is coached and how it is played. I think I've seen a gateway game make it to to the 5th once, but it's been about an average of three in my experience. The associations around her load up with teams and the tourneys and probably make a killing off a weekend of softball.

Points to note: Above is why there are time limits. If a team plays and averages 3 innings per hour or less, something is wrong.

Time limits exists to control the tournaments. It have been the carrot chasers who have placed the emphasis on the number of games to be had and are seemingly willing to pay to play those games. That means more teams at more fields in a limited time frame that often includes travel for the participants.

ASA does not support any time limit less than 100 minutes for any FP game. However, TD do have the authority to adjust regular play in situations necessary to complete the tournament. Any other time limit you incur during play is that of the local organization.

Many people who complain about these issues have no perception of the resources used, including volunteers and umpires, that go into these tournaments.

Oct 25, 2009
I'd rather play a 4-inning game than a time-limited game. That's 4-innings-plus if necessary to avoid a tie. The only thing worse than a time limit would be a tie!

Just wait 'til the TD realize they can still fill their parks with 3-inning games if they promise enough college coaches in attendance. Or maybe they'll charge by the hour and you can play as long as you want.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'd rather play a 4-inning game than a time-limited game. That's 4-innings-plus if necessary to avoid a tie. The only thing worse than a time limit would be a tie!

Just wait 'til the TD realize they can still fill their parks with 3-inning games if they promise enough college coaches in attendance. Or maybe they'll charge by the hour and you can play as long as you want.

The real problem with that is that some would say, "no problem, how much you want?" Too many people still think kids are discovered on the fields, playing games..

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Maybe it's just me, but the time limit games involve more coaching skills and in some cases bush league moves or tactics. ( biggest being stalling )

Straight seven, I can sit back and let the girls run the game ( mostly ). For me the 7 seem more relaxed to the girls too, they know exactly how long to hold the lead or make a comeback, pitchers can work the batters and not keep looking at the clock on the scoreboard.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Maybe it's just me, but the time limit games involve more coaching skills and in some cases bush league moves or tactics. ( biggest being stalling )

Straight seven, I can sit back and let the girls run the game ( mostly ). For me the 7 seem more relaxed to the girls too, they know exactly how long to hold the lead or make a comeback, pitchers can work the batters and not keep looking at the clock on the scoreboard.

Agree. There's more "implied pressure" when you're playing against the clock. If you have a good hitting team vs. a good defensive team, if you play 7, generally the good hitters are going to get their hits. Now if you're playing 60 minutes, it's a different dynamic. One team may stall, lots of circle conferences, etc. DD's team is a very strong hitting team. Playing in most tournaments you see a variety of pitching from very good to very bad. But, if you've seen 45mph fastballs/35 mph changeups and then the next game is 58mph with movement, it often takes some time to adjust. Short games, a team might not adjust quick enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez