Timed game: Pick home or away?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2008
Can someone break down the logic of picking visitors in a drop dead timed game? I'm not getting it.

If you're visitors, and you're up to bat when the time runs out, it reverts back to the last inning, so whatever you scored doesn't even matter, and you're going to get as many chances to bat as the home team.

So what's the point? I might just be missing something...

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Can someone break down the logic of picking visitors in a drop dead timed game? I'm not getting it.

If you're visitors, and you're up to bat when the time runs out, it reverts back to the last inning, so whatever you scored doesn't even matter, and you're going to get as many chances to bat as the home team.

So what's the point? I might just be missing something...
From what I was understanding, in some tournaments it doesn't revert back to the last inning? Therefore, being away would be the advantage.

Oct 19, 2009
After playing some pool games today, I just remembered another reason to take visitors. Not getting to bat in the final inning can hurt your team when it comes to seeding if runs scored is a factor!!!!

Didn't hurt us today because #3 seed gave up more runs than us but it could have.

Dec 19, 2009
hellalujah, most (if not all) of the tournaments we have played are just drop dead. They don't revert back to the previous.

We pick visitor cause we know we are likely to lose and chances are if we are the home team the inning would end early because we wouldn't have a chance of catching up. Hopefully that will change soon but for now that is our outlook. :)

Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for all the insight. After thinking about it there are different circumstances I might want to choose visitors especially against weaker teams.

On a Saturday in a pool game when seeding is based on wins/losses/runs against then runs for. As a home team mercy rules stop you from continuing to score. I'm not a big fan of running up the score; but in tournament play those things count for seeding. As a visitor you get to finish your at bat and more girls get to hit even if you are winning. This weekend we were the home team in three of our games (we lost the coin toss twice). We ended up winning each game by mercy 10-0. We were 3-0 and zero runs allowed and 30 runs scored. We still ended up being the number 2 seed because another team was able to score a total of 42 runs in 3 games because they were visitors and got to bat each inning. It wasn't really a big deal but we had slightly tougher matchups on Sunday because of the seeding.

Choosing visitors also gets girls you are trying to get in the game more at bats.

I would still choose home on Sundays in must win situations... but Saturday when you are trying to get girls at bats and position yourself well for Sunday it feels like visitors is the way to go against teams you think you can hit against.

In LL tournaments when there are games on back to back days; because of pitching rules you may want to opt to be visitors there as well... since if a pitcher pitches more than 2 innings they cannot come back the next day. The extra at bat in the top 3rd can help you decide if you want to save your number one or bring in someone else if you have a comfortable lead.

Again... in must win situations or against strong teams... I think I'd have to pick home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00