Timed game: Pick home or away?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Not sure if this has been discussed here...

You are playing drop dead 1' 20" rules or no new inning after 1' 20 and drop dead 1' 30" or something similar. Do you pick home or away?

Someone told me you should pick visitor but really couldn't explain the logic.

What do you guys do?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
drop dead? Pick visitor.
The probability that you will get to bat, and time will run out before home team gets to bat is pretty high...Game can end before bottom of the inning.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Drop dead and revert to last completed inning, we bat 1st. If there is a time limit and
complete the inning, we are always home. In the first instance, we like the chance to
draw first blood as the home team has no clear advantage

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In the winter we play in an indoor league that has 90 minute games. coin toss decides who gets choice of Home or away. You always pick Away so you are guaranteed you'll get AT LEAST as many at bats as the other team.

Away team could wind up with both first and last at-bats

Oct 19, 2009
We always take visitors when we win the flip. Some of our parents think I'm nuts but I like to make sure our kids get their at bats.

For a timed game it doesn't provide any advantage as far as winning or losing, but a game can end during the visitors at bat with drop dead so the visiting team gets more at bats regardless of the score.

Mar 15, 2010
Depends on the team we are playing and how many games we have in the day. If we are facing a weaker team (i.e. silver or bronze) I choose home team in this situation as the mercy rule is invoked as early as 3 1/2 inning and potentially cuts down the amount of time my team is on the field. The temperature is rising and having girls on a hot field when unnecessary just wears them down.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
We always take visitors when we win the flip. Some of our parents think I'm nuts but I like to make sure our kids get their at bats.

For a timed game it doesn't provide any advantage as far as winning or losing, but a game can end during the visitors at bat with drop dead so the visiting team gets more at bats regardless of the score.

We ALWAYS want to hit first. It's a psychological thing, lots of speed at the top and we nearly always score first. Puts major pressure on the opposing team. We've played enough teams 2 and 3 times now that they are taking that away from us when they win the flip. All the parents think we're nuts but can't argue with the numbers!! The players have bought into it 100%, they're always itching to hit first.

Oct 19, 2009
We ALWAYS want to hit first. It's a psychological thing, lots of speed at the top and we nearly always score first. Puts major pressure on the opposing team. We've played enough teams 2 and 3 times now that they are taking that away from us when they win the flip. All the parents think we're nuts but can't argue with the numbers!! The players have bought into it 100%, they're always itching to hit first.

I agree. It is good when we can set the tone for the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00