Time for crazy parents to "Man up" or "Woman up" as the case may be

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Time for crazy parents to "Man up" or "Woman up" as the case may be

The HS softball season is ending. Before the season ends, go over to your HS softball coach and say, "Thank you for coaching my DD." You don't have to like the gal or guy, but she/he actually put some time and effort into the task.

The coach may not have been a softball genius, but she/he did a tremendous amount of work that you will never know about. Additionally, and I know this is hard to believe, but your DD was probably not perfect at practices and during games, either athletically or emotionally.

Show some class and just say, "Thanks."

Ray

Mar 15, 2010
Prior to this season I have always thanked the Rec, Travel, Middle and HS coaches for every sport my kids have played. I won't repeat a post I made elsewhere in this forum but this softball season I could not do it. This was a first year coach, impressionable and she effectively turned over the team to a group of 5 parents of seniors. The coach spent her time socializing with the players. A parent coached first and another third. A different parent set the offensive and defensive lineups. Practices were run by these parents. If I was going to thank anyone it would be the parent who was generous enough to pencil my DD into 10 starts. The coach this season gets none of my gratitude.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Prior to this season I have always thanked the Rec, Travel, Middle and HS coaches for every sport my kids have played. I won't repeat a post I made elsewhere in this forum but this softball season I could not do it. This was a first year coach, impressionable and she effectively turned over the team to a group of 5 parents of seniors. The coach spent her time socializing with the players. A parent coached first and another third. A different parent set the offensive and defensive lineups. Practices were run by these parents. If I was going to thank anyone it would be the parent who was generous enough to pencil my DD into 10 starts. The coach this season gets none of my gratitude.

This sounds very similar to the start of DD1's MS ball career.

Until several parents went to the AD, then the coach's were at least there, but the HC, at 3rd base, would chat up the home team's coaches while we were batting and the 1st base coach 1/2 the time wasn't on the field either, but IN our dugout.

After the season was over, i found out it was the team captain that did 1/2 the coaching. These girls were only 12.

It was a nightmare of a season, and some sick side of me is looking forward to it starting again this fall. I am an optimistic type person and I am hoping the drama from last year will settle down and the girls can just play and have fun. Please remind me in a few months when I am fuming from same stuff different day.

Oct 18, 2009
In my area and sounds like most areas good HS/MS coaching is the exception. MS coaches are probably the worst. If your DD has a good coach in HS or MS consider her extremely lucky. Most of these coaches are teachers who really don't even know what they've gotten themselves into. I'd say most are nice people. They just don't know softball at a level more than rec (which is probably the level of most HS/MS here anyway). With so little experience how could they know about all the crazy softball parents out there?

I say give the coaches a break... say "thanks!", at the end of the day they are just people too. It's not always about your kid. Travel season for HS is just around the corner!

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I always find something nice to say to a coach at the end of the season. At the very least, you should thank them for putting in the time with the kids. Your DD may not have learned much, but was at least safe and under some sort of adult supervision. (I hope) Besides, now you could have a reference on things NOT to do, for those converwsations with your DD.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I'm amazed at some of the comments here. Refusing to thank the HS coach because they didn't do the perfect job that you expected them to? Really?

I can think of a dozen reasons to be upset, even angry with DD's HS coach but Momma and I both thanked him last year for coaching our kid and we will do the same this year at the end of post-season.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I never said I didn't thank the coach. I liked the coaches as people just not as coaches.

I always thank coaches and umps. They take time away from their families to help out at something my DD happens to LOVE!

Mar 15, 2010
Would it have killed me to be polite and say thank you? No. But I am also a person who believes that insincerity condones complacency. In my DD's situation the coach did not perform the coaching job function she was hired to perform. I know some could argue that she was a great coach because she was able to delegate to others. That is not the case. She was too young, inexperienced and impressionable for the job. I won't go into the politics of why she was hired but the bottom line is a team of very good players was setback significantly because of her incompetent performance. As for the "sacrifices" she had too make? None, no family, taught gym classes and spent hours each day socializing with the girls. Getting paid to socialize is thanks enough in my book.

Mar 15, 2010
The coach's decision to play a senior in the situation that was described sounds very mature to me...

The coach did not make the decision. Setting the lineup was one of the assistant parents role. Where is the maturity in that? I know for a fact that this parent did not consult at all with the coach on lineup decisions. Also, playing time was not my issue. My DD played virtually every inning of every game. My complaint is the coach did not take control of the team and field the best possible line up to win. THAT IS THE COACHES JOB!!! Rather she let a parent set a lineup that ensured her DD got playing time over better players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12