Throwing to second from knees.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I didn't make any claims. He wanted a video of a someone throwing from knees. I provided one, not a great example but I wasn't gonna spend a whole bunch of time looking. That is why I included the second video. If you notice the girl in the first video doesn't complete the full throwing motion shown in the second video. This girl may one day hurt her arm throwing like this. I am not advocating either way. BTW, I was gonna buy the NECC video this week just haven't yet. Probably order tomorrow. The only thing I really am interested in on Jen Shcro is her technique for throwing from knees. Dd doesn't do it but I have seen it done and it is fast. Faster than normal? I am not and have not made that claim but I am durn sure wanting to look into it.

The DVD won't dissapoint. Ingrain the conventional throwing technique first, then try it from the knees if you must! Frankly, I don't think its faster and I think you sacrifice some of your receiving and blocking ability, but YMMV.

Good luck and have fun with it

Jun 1, 2013
Ok, check 1:41 and 3:00 mark. You will see the completed throwing motion and with this rotation you can throw without damaging your shoulder IMO. Your blocking ability remains unchanged. I am still on the fence though. BTW, that hand behind the glove NECC wants, is not what the D1 coach wanted to see dd do. She was there catching for a pitcher during practice and he corrected her immediately. Told her to get her hand back. Thumb inside of fist didn't matter, he never wants it up there unless blocking.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...5YGoBw&usg=AFQjCNG4cRrKU4Q7Wi5cdp8PszV_V6m1aQ

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ok, check 1:41 and 3:00 mark. You will see the completed throwing motion and with this rotation you can throw without damaging your shoulder IMO. Your blocking ability remains unchanged. I am still on the fence though. BTW, that hand behind the glove NECC wants, is not what the D1 coach wanted to see dd do. She was there catching for a pitcher during practice and he corrected her immediately. Told her to get her hand back. Thumb inside of fist didn't matter, he never wants it up there unless blocking.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...5YGoBw&usg=AFQjCNG4cRrKU4Q7Wi5cdp8PszV_V6m1aQ

The throwing motion in the video looks better than most, but I still have concern about the arm stress. Without debating which is faster, if you can get to a sub 1.8 pop time without sacrificing your blocking and receiving ability conventionally, why is there a need to throw from the knees?

IMO, the greater the stagger, the more difficult it is to complete a good block to the left, the forward foot for a RH catcher.

Re the throwing hand - different coaches have different opinions so who's right? Most coaches, including D1 SB and BB, know very little about catching. IME and NECC's opinion, the time its going to get hit is when its moving from where its hidden into block or throwing position. Ask Cervelli how that worked out for him this season.

And for the record, the videos I've seen of Jen Schro's workouts are excellent and better than 99% of the training most catchers get. I just think there need to be a few technique tweaks.

Jun 1, 2013
The throwing motion in the video looks better than most, but I still have concern about the arm stress. Without debating which is faster, if you can get to a sub 1.8 pop time without sacrificing your blocking and receiving ability conventionally, why is there a need to throw from the knees?

IMO, the greater the stagger, the more difficult it is to complete a good block to the left, the forward foot for a RH catcher.

Re the throwing hand - different coaches have different opinions so who's right? Most coaches, including D1 SB and BB, know very little about catching. IME and NECC's opinion, the time its going to get hit is when its moving from where its hidden into block or throwing position. Ask Cervelli how that worked out for him this season.

And for the record, the videos I've seen of Jen Schro's workouts are excellent and better than 99% of the training most catchers get. I just think there need to be a few technique tweaks.

Fastest most efficient way to catch and throw, without injury, is what I am looking for. Some people are quick on their feet, some aren't. I am curious if this would be the better style for slower catchers... It seems like the follow through motion she is teaching here would put no more stress on the shoulder than a regular throw. I have had dd try this, exaggerating the follow through and she is faster than her normal throw. Then again she doesn't do what she should fundamentally and that is costing her on speed. When I get the NECC video, I think we will work on both and let her and the clock choose. This past season a HS catcher picked a girl off at 2nd from her knees. Yes, I agree that is poor base running but still, she nailed a girl on second from her knees because she got off a little too far. Whichever is the most efficient is what we will end up with, as long as there are no shoulder issues.

Jun 1, 2013
For those that claim it's faster and more accurate, I meant video showing that it was. In other words, same kid doing both ways.

Oh, I got ya. I would like to see that too, clocks, same baserunner, same lead, and same pitch location.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
As with any way taught, there are anecdotal stories that go against that particular way. Since this is a game of numbers, I feel it's best to teach the best way to get most of the situations covered most of the time. You can't get all of them all of the time. There is always that one exception, so I'll go with the odds.

If you haven't watched the NECC video, I cannot recommend it enough. Coach Dave started a great program with catchers. His son Jay has done a wonderful job taking over. What they teach makes sense. I watch it at least once a month.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Sport is all about results. As long as you are not breaking the rules, hurting yourself or someone else, players need to do what gets them the best results. I find it refreshing to to see young athletes break convention, or think outside of the box to better their results in whatever they are doing. It shows creativity and determination.

DD threw out 6 of 7 runners from her knees 2 weeks ago, not bad in my book.

Apr 1, 2010
DD has thrown out runners both ways. She's supposed to follow the NECC method, but if she's blocked one in the dirt, she's like as not going to just hurl it to second from her knees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes