Throwing to second from knees.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
If throwing from the knees, is it a good idea to have the right foot back a little farther than normal (for a right-handed catcher) to have the body in the proper position?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Please watch both videos in their entirety and then respond. The shoulder is not an issue with proper technique.

E33 - Don't know if they were what you intended, but other than the C's arm not falling off in the first video, I'm finding little substantiation of your claim. I think its OK for a fully-grown catcher to throw from their knees as an infrequent emergency option, but IME/IMO there's too much strain on the arm to practice and use it as the primary technique. I'd advocate that if the time spent practicing from the knees was instead put into refining the conventional technique, the conventional pop time would almost always be better.

Re the 2nd video - I love JSchro's energy, but as far as technique, there were a number of skills being practiced that I'd argue are subject to debate if you compare it to the NECC* approach. For instance, rapid fire reps, stance, ball transfer, body rotation, arm circle, hand protection are quite a bit different than what I believe to be optimal.

* For anyone not familiar w/ the New England Catching Camp, their catcher training DVD is a must have for every coach and catcher, IMO. Search the catching forum and check out their website The New England Catching Camp Also look for some videos of timed pop times that Chaz @ ACC made for related throwing technique discussions.

Jun 1, 2013
E33 - Don't know if they were what you intended, but other than the C's arm not falling off in the first video, I'm finding little substantiation of your claim. I think its OK for a fully-grown catcher to throw from their knees as an infrequent emergency option, but IME/IMO there's too much strain on the arm to practice and use it as the primary technique. I'd advocate that if the time spent practicing from the knees was instead put into refining the conventional technique, the conventional pop time would almost always be better.

Re the 2nd video - I love JSchro's energy, but as far as technique, there were a number of skills being practiced that I'd argue are subject to debate if you compare it to the NECC* approach. For instance, rapid fire reps, stance, ball transfer, body rotation, arm circle, hand protection are quite a bit different than what I believe to be optimal.

* For anyone not familiar w/ the New England Catching Camp, their catcher training DVD is a must have for every coach and catcher, IMO. Search the catching forum and check out their website The New England Catching Camp Also look for some videos of timed pop times that Chaz @ ACC made for related throwing technique discussions.

I didn't make any claims. He wanted a video of a someone throwing from knees. I provided one, not a great example but I wasn't gonna spend a whole bunch of time looking. That is why I included the second video. If you notice the girl in the first video doesn't complete the full throwing motion shown in the second video. This girl may one day hurt her arm throwing like this. I am not advocating either way. BTW, I was gonna buy the NECC video this week just haven't yet. Probably order tomorrow. The only thing I really am interested in on Jen Shcro is her technique for throwing from knees. Dd doesn't do it but I have seen it done and it is fast. Faster than normal? I am not and have not made that claim but I am durn sure wanting to look into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish