Throwing the mask off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Lenski is just stubborn and doesn't care to consider facts or opinions that contradict with his own beliefs. 2 simple examples - 1) he believes that catchers see and visually track foul pops from the instant of contact just like any other fielder; 2) he believes that his DD doesn't pull pitches.

FWIW, I am one who considers NECC's instruction as gospel. But I arrived at this point after considering my own catching experience, reading and viewing everything I could get my hands on or was recommended to me, personally trying alternative techniques, and experimenting w my DD and the other catchers I coached. Having gone through this verification process, I trust NECC and have no reservations recommending their approach to anyone.

Trust, but verify!

Let's talk about stubbornness and considering facts and opinions. I'm the one that said if a catcher wants to keep their mask on it is fine. I never said it was wrong. I call it a preference. You're the one that is adamant about keeping the mask on. I am not the stubborn one here, you are. Yes, a catcher is more aware of their surroundings removing the mask on a high pop up. That's why the best catchers do it. If you don't want to believe that little tidbit of information, it's not my problem.

A good catcher sees the direction of the ball from contact. I said that since they know the direction they can find the ball very quickly, within hundredths of a second.

You need to understand the difference between a push and a pull, and the smoothness that the task is accomplished.

GM, since you consider NECC instruction as gospel, let's see your NECC instructed dd catcher in action. Throw some video on here and compare how my non-NECC instructed catcher compares to yours, with commentary on what my dd is doing wrong and how she should fix the problem. Maybe you can teach me something.

Dec 19, 2012
What I find odder is that the perceived benefit of removing the mask isn't considered relative to the actual obstruction of vision that occurs when removing a helmet that isn't designed to be removed.

It is designed to be removed. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to take it off.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have worn these new mask and have used a Jugs Rookie Machine to throw up high foul balls to the catcher. To be honest, I was as comfortable as I could be with that mask on and didn't think it impeded my eyesight at all. Have any of you experimented this way? I'd be interested to hear your observations.

Dec 19, 2012
I tried my son's Schutt and my dd's Easton Synergy and Wilson Shock FX 2.0 helmet. The Shock FX helmet was the best of the bunch, but even so, when looking up I felt like I was looking through a wide tunnel.

The true purpose of the hockey style mask is it better disburses frontal impact, and protects the sides and back of the head better than a traditional skull cap and mask. Since it is a tighter fit, you can choose to keep it on for pop ups if you wish with some loss to your peripheral vision.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have worn these new mask and have used a Jugs Rookie Machine to throw up high foul balls to the catcher. To be honest, I was as comfortable as I could be with that mask on and didn't think it impeded my eyesight at all. Have any of you experimented this way? I'd be interested to hear your observations.

Good for you for actually trying it CB. Most won't or don't care to and accept whatever they are told as fact without verification. I've also have tried today's one-piece hockey style catchers helmets and the only time I personally would be inclined to take it off would be for a play at the plate to avoid possibly being obstructed by the bars on a low throw that bounces high unexpectedly. Other than that situation, I see no benefit to removing the helmet and multiple good reasons to keep it on during live play. Based on this, I instructed my DD and others to keep their helmet on as I place a higher priority on their safety than my own.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think the purpose of the hockey style mask is to stay in place when a catcher has to field something in front of them. The hockey style only offers side and back protection when left on. The old style catchers mask just don't stay in place and MUST be remove on any kind of play. Both have sufficient padding to disperse a hit or all major leaguers would wear the hockey style.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I tried my son's Schutt and my dd's Easton Synergy and Wilson Shock FX 2.0 helmet. The Shock FX helmet was the best of the bunch, but even so, when looking up I felt like I was looking through a wide tunnel.

The true purpose of the hockey style mask is it better disburses frontal impact, and protects the sides and back of the head better than a traditional skull cap and mask. Since it is a tighter fit, you can choose to keep it on for pop ups if you wish with some loss to your peripheral vision.

You're completely right about the purpose of the design, but now I'm really curious to know what you think I thought was the purpose!

FWIW - Peripheral vision is important when trying to catch a pop ups, but only relative to knowing where you are with respect to fences, deadball territory, dugouts, etc., but as long as these features aren't sneaking up on you from behind, a mask still allows more than sufficient field of vision/peripheral vision (communicating and practicing proper pop up hierarchy addresses the issue of players approaching from the blind spot). Wearing glasses while catching is far more limiting with respect to peripheral vision and catching pop ups than wearing a helmet.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think the purpose of the hockey style mask is to stay in place when a catcher has to field something in front of them. The hockey style only offers side and back protection when left on. The old style catchers mask just don't stay in place and MUST be remove on any kind of play. Both have sufficient padding to disperse a hit or all major leaguers would wear the hockey style.

Some MLBers who switched have gone back to the mask style because of concussion concerns from the helmet style. I expect that designs will continue to evolve as a direct result of heightened awareness and further research.