Throwing the mask off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It seems to me that you're making a pretty big generalization based on the actions of just a few (if that).

You've probably said it somewhere, but I don't recall specifically...Have you seen the NECC DVD for yourself? If you have, and you don't agree with it, cool. No worries. I'd actually be curious to hear your reasoning behind any other issues you may have with their instruction. Not to challenge you, but to challenge my own beliefs.

Lenski is just stubborn and doesn't care to consider facts or opinions that contradict with his own beliefs. 2 simple examples - 1) he believes that catchers see and visually track foul pops from the instant of contact just like any other fielder; 2) he believes that his DD doesn't pull pitches.

FWIW, I am one who considers NECC's instruction as gospel. But I arrived at this point after considering my own catching experience, reading and viewing everything I could get my hands on or was recommended to me, personally trying alternative techniques, and experimenting w my DD and the other catchers I coached. Having gone through this verification process, I trust NECC and have no reservations recommending their approach to anyone.

Trust, but verify!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pop quiz time
Today's 1-piece catchers helmets were designed for the principal purpose of:
A) protection/safety
B) ease of removal

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Some catchers take off the mask at times. Some don't.

riseball, I'm very respectful of your opinion on things, but I find it odd that you would try to interpret conversations that my daughters and I have had with certain catchers, conversations that you were not privy to.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Some catchers take off the mask at times. Some don't.

riseball, I'm very respectful of your opinion on things, but I find it odd that you would try to interpret conversations that my daughters and I have had with certain catchers, conversations that you were not privy to.

I have seen many a contest and I am familiar with catchers that rarely chuck the mask, but the statement that a catcher exists that will never take their mask off just does not pass the smell test.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
True or False - in the real world catchers without masks catch every pop up

False - The same answer as those with masks.

I find it very odd that although NECC does not advocate keeping the mask on at all times, disciples of their methods advocate otherwise.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
False - The same answer as those with masks.

I find it very odd that although NECC does not advocate keeping the mask on at all times, disciples of their methods advocate otherwise.

What I find odder is that the perceived benefit of removing the mask isn't considered relative to the actual obstruction of vision that occurs when removing a helmet that isn't designed to be removed.

Dec 19, 2012
It seems to me that you're making a pretty big generalization based on the actions of just a few (if that).

You've probably said it somewhere, but I don't recall specifically...Have you seen the NECC DVD for yourself? If you have, and you don't agree with it, cool. No worries. I'd actually be curious to hear your reasoning behind any other issues you may have with their instruction. Not to challenge you, but to challenge my own beliefs.

Generalization? It's a fact! All you have to do is check the catching posts of the past.

I have not seen the NECC DVD. I have stated in the past that I probably agree with over 90% of what is on the DVD based on what has been posted here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45