Brutal Walk Off Loss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
We just had a mid-week friendly against the team we just beat for the state championship two Sundays ago. Down 6-2 in bottom 5, we fight back to tie against the starter. In bottom 6, their coach puts in new pitcher – 2 walks, wild pitch, game over. One of the dads on their team went absolutely ballistic (scared the crap out of our girls) shouting at their coach (including obscenities) about the decision. In the handshake line, we ask coach “is everything alright?”. He says “Oh, that’s just Ray. He comes to all of our games. Doesn’t even have a kid on the team, he’s just a huge fan.”, like it happens all the time.

Yikes.

Anyway, we make decisions and live with them. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

Story embellished in red just for fun.

Mar 20, 2019
Was the manager's last name Kappler? (Frustrated Phillies fan)/
Sometimes you out guess yourself sometimes your a genius, it's always hard at that age, never know how they'll react. Glad to hear the girls got over it. It's a learning experience for everyone involved.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think if the pitcher was in shape enough to finish let her finish. One WP, BB, HBP or hit the coach could've made a change at that point.

Too many times I've witnessed the opposite.
Girls with hardly any reps goes 4 good innings, pitching well and see the opposing team lineup for the 3rd/4th time and coaches not pulling the girl and letting her get tired and start missing locations.

So If I had to choose I'd rather see a loss due to a perceived coaching error verses a non-move and let a girl that pitched a great game lose form from being tired out and get a loss when a coach had an opportunity to give the girl and the team a win.

Question.... did the coaches after the game take responsibility for the game loss or did put it on the girls?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sorry, I've been away from my computer for the last week because we were in southwestern VA for the LL majors state championship, which we won. As far as the original post goes, I give the coaches credit. They did not blame the girls, but praised them for playing their best. Although I appreciate the perspective from those who responded, I still consider removing the starting pitcher a coaching blunder-one that almost certainly cost the 10U team the ability to compete for the state championship. Given the outcome of the championship game (the team that walked us off won handily), we most likely would have won the title. So it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812