Throwing the mask off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Throw the mask off.
Palm down at 9 and push the ball.
Two hands to catch the ball.
Knob to the ball.

The list goes on and on and...

I agree with this except I don't know about the 2 hands to catch the ball. Explain please as I am uneducated on that one :)

Often it is taught as an absolute when there are clearly times when it is not appropriate and in the case of catching down right dangerous.

Nov 15, 2013
We need curt back.

Sad story, but if he could just keep his mouth shut outside the lines, he could continue to be employable inside them. If your paycheck is signed by someone else, then you can't say the ignorant crap he was saying.

Dec 19, 2012
****Partial Spoiler UCLA/Oregon*****

Bottom of the 6th UCLA catcher (Jelenicki) drops pop up at the plate. Danielle Lawrie proceeds to say that she would like to have seen her throw the mask off so she has a better view of the ball and might not have dropped the ball. Yada Yada Yada

Lawrie had a valid point IMO. That ball was high and straight up in the air. I'm just guessing, but when the ball drifted on Jelenicki it went to her right and more towards the field of play, probably putting the ball into her upper crossbars. She lost it for a split second and made an across the face stab for the ball, further blinding herself with her forearm. Jelenicki made a fairly simple pop up much harder than it had to be.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Lawrie had a valid point IMO. That ball was high and straight up in the air. I'm just guessing, but when the ball drifted on Jelenicki it went to her right and more towards the field of play, probably putting the ball into her upper crossbars. She lost it for a split second and made an across the face stab for the ball, further blinding herself with her forearm. Jelenicki made a fairly simple pop up much harder than it had to be.

I know we disagree in principle, but the ball isn't caught because it is misjudged, rather than lost because of obstruction by the mask. Misjudging is independent of mask on/ off.

PS We need to set a time and place for our parking lot pay per view exhibition. August 11th is good for me. Any venue you pick is ok with me as long as they have Rolling Rock in bottles or Yuengling on tap.

Dec 19, 2012
I know we disagree in principle, but the ball isn't caught because it is misjudged, rather than lost because of obstruction by the mask. Misjudging is independent of mask on/ off.

PS We need to set a time and place for our parking lot pay per view exhibition. August 11th is good for me. Any venue you pick is ok with me as long as they have Rolling Rock in bottles or Yuengling on tap.

Oh I agree....she misjudged the ball. I'm saying because of that it is possible (just guessing on my part) that the mask's upper crossbar further complicated the situation. I noticed that she wears her mask where her eyes are at the top of the viewing area of the mask instead of the middle of the viewing area. Any eye shift upward and her vision is obscured by the upper crossbar. You can see the way she wears her mask at the 1:28:05 mark and the missed pop up is the very next pitch.

August 11th is a Thursday. We need to do this on a weekend where many can attend. Rolling Rock and Yuengling......are you from PA?:)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see a simple fluke. She was right under the ball and was tracking it the whole way. The ball just hit her in the palm and spun out. I'm not seeing where any difference would be made by taking the mask off.

Dec 19, 2012
I see a simple fluke. She was right under the ball and was tracking it the whole way. The ball just hit her in the palm and spun out. I'm not seeing where any difference would be made by taking the mask off.

Only Jelenicki knows what truly happened.

I see a botched pop up due to mistakes. Being right under the ball is problematic. You don't want to be under the ball like that. She was not tracking it properly the whole way. She had to take a step back and reach across her body in order for the ball to make contact with her mitt. She had time to position herself properly to catch the pop up, but she was confused and stepped in, then to her left, then reached across and way above the right side of her body. She was not confident; she was confused and unsure. This was not a fluke.

Aug 24, 2011
****Partial Spoiler UCLA/Oregon*****

Bottom of the 6th UCLA catcher (Jelenicki) drops pop up at the plate. Danielle Lawrie proceeds to say that she would like to have seen her throw the mask off so she has a better view of the ball and might not have dropped the ball. Yada Yada Yada

DD-Looks at me as I am shaking my head. I know what she is about to say so I beat her to the punch. I say 1) She is a pitcher, not a catcher 2) She is 6"6" and the air is thin up there. I get the typical teenage eye roll.

If you are a mask off proponent, the next time you are at a hockey game and a goalie allows a goal, yell out, "Take off the damn mask. You'll see the puck better." See how many strange looks you get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles