Throwing Mechanics Reference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
DD is starting to catch and is having trouble making the throw to second. We've been working throwing mechanics over the winter, but I'm not seeing much improvement yet. It makes me wonder if I'm missing something. Does anyone have a good reference sheet with the talking points of what makes a good throw? Here is what we instruct so far:

Pre Throw - body sideways. Instep, glove hand toe, and glove hand elbow to target. Throwing elbow up and ball facing backwards
Lag - throwing shoulder and elbow tracking around body (rotation) until upper body is square to target. Whip - Make sure the throwing hand is straight above the elbow (not leaning into the head or straight arm). Throwing arm comes down (ala slot machine), wrist/fingers, Pushing forward with the back leg
Follow thru - "puke" into their glove, throwing arm follows through to opposite hip, rear leg releases

It feels like something must be happening in the wrong sequence (hip turned too early to add anything to the throw). a set of pictures would really help.

Julie

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Throwing clinic discussion and analysis of correct throwing mechanics and how the Throwmax helps.

I know the prob with my dd (and lots of girls) was always dropping her elbow below her shoulder in the middle of her throw. I don't push gadgets normally, but the throwmax worked to correct this.
Also the lastest studies show that facing the ball "away from you" (ex pitcher facing the ball toward second) before the throw has long term unneeded stress on the tendons and ligaments in the arm. A better choice is facing the ball to the side (like pitcher facing the ball toward third base).

How old is your dd? From what I see about 10 % of 10u catchers can make a throw good enough to get an average runner out, about 5% of ss/2nd can catch it and make a tag.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was teaching OH throw the other day and I am always talking my way through it. I noticed for the first time, that I am rotating the ball, at some point. Sometimes at the catch and sometimes as I bring the ball back to my ear. I am flipping it to get my fingers on a seam. I hadn't noticed that before.

Also, I do not teach to face the ball backwards.

Do you have any video? Maybe she just lacks core strength at this time. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
Good point about the ball facing away. I noticed in game photos that the girls have naturally moved to facing the ball to the side. I 'll let that stay.

DD is 12U. She is one of four catchers on our team and the only one that can't make the throw, so I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation. Her throwing is the weakest part of her game - part of my motive of making her a catcher. :)

I did try to the ThrowMax. It worked for a month with my 10U daughter to get her out of an elbow leading habit that was causing tendonitus issues. Unfortunately, 10U DD pushed against the Throwmax enough to bend the main plastic bar beyond comfortable/effective.

12U DD doesn't have too much of an elbow drop. It seems more like her uppper body and lower body are out of sync. I'll try to take some video later this morning to better explain.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Catchers Throwing Mechanics And Drills

I saved this slide show from a week ago, a well meaning coach from another team was telling dd she needs to turn the ball away from her. She has been trained by necc to throw with ball facing third at a downward angle and showed him the first picture of a catcher in these slides. Then said I appreciate your help, and talk to any girl, but everything dd does is for a purpose, we have worked out or currently working out any mistakes.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
DD is starting to catch and is having trouble making the throw to second. We've been working throwing mechanics over the winter, but I'm not seeing much improvement yet. It makes me wonder if I'm missing something. Does anyone have a good reference sheet with the talking points of what makes a good throw? Here is what we instruct so far:

Pre Throw - body sideways. Instep, glove hand toe, and glove hand elbow to target. Throwing elbow up and ball facing backwards
Lag - throwing shoulder and elbow tracking around body (rotation) until upper body is square to target. Whip - Make sure the throwing hand is straight above the elbow (not leaning into the head or straight arm). Throwing arm comes down (ala slot machine), wrist/fingers, Pushing forward with the back leg
Follow thru - "puke" into their glove, throwing arm follows through to opposite hip, rear leg releases

It feels like something must be happening in the wrong sequence (hip turned too early to add anything to the throw). a set of pictures would really help.

Julie

Here is a clip from my DD first throwing lesson...she took 19.... @ 8 yrs old...

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
Not the best video work, but it is raining here...
This is Jamie's throw. We clocked it today at 33-35 mph. This is a bit better than last week's number.

[video=youtube_share;MTkj1-MnhT8]http://youtu.be/MTkj1-MnhT8[/video]

Analysis and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Julie

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
Thanks for all of the help so far. I took this video of the DD this morning. Not the best video, but I hope it is good enough for some level of feedback. I clocked her at 35 mph max.

Jun 24, 2011
Watching the videos you posted, it looks like your daughter is thinking about the dozen instructions she's been given, which in effect is making her lose the optimal release point for a quick throw. Look at Perfect Circle's video and pause at 0:04 - that's a great start point to initiate the throw.

Once your daughter is there, freeze. Then just tell her to step and throw hard quickly, making sure that she doesn't take a hop step. Step-throw, boom-boom! Emphasize that the throwing elbow stays off the ribs and she follows through over the top. A one hop throw is fine, as long as it's on center and released quickly.

If the distance to second is still a struggle, consistent long toss sessions will help build the arm strength. Hope this helps, good luck!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Sportskool Instruction... Mike Candrea on Throwing

This video is one of the most comprehensive throwing instruction videos I have come across. The throwing drills at the end are very helpful. The video is dated slightly as we work with catchers not to have the ball ball facing straight back when set to throw... I am not a big fan of looping the ball under at set up either. (We work with a shorter ball transfer) The video is a great jumping off point to improve throwing skills.

Just a couple of things on Jamie's throwing video... Jamie starts off rolling her arm down and around in a loop as she sets to throw. This is great for outfielders but takes extra time and can affect her balance when throwing to second. At the 4-5 second mark she is set to throw. I like that her feet are in line with her target, she has over-rotated (Back shoulder winds up too far) Her shoulders should stay level through the throw. Her hips stay open (Little rotation) in the throw. Notice also that as she transfers her weight from front to back and pushes off, she pushes upwards. Ideally, she will want to push straight through towards her target....
-Chaz

For More on setting up to throw check out NECC's Crouch to Launch Video

[video=youtube_share;F8tK2PPQWGA]http://youtu.be/F8tK2PPQWGA[/video]

and Throwing Video

[video=youtube_share;L1dex-qJbnE]http://youtu.be/L1dex-qJbnE[/video]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00