Throwing/Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Is "The Move" involved in the throwing sequence? I ask this because I do hear and read all the time that throwing is like hitting and I know some believe the move is involved in hitting and some do not. Do all agree "the move" is associated with throwing or not?

Mar 12, 2009
Why has everyone avoided this question? I feel like the move is in the throwing sequence but wanted to see how others felt along with if they agreed it was in the hitting sequence or not.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I left it alone for the "throwing is hitting" group. While I see similarities between the 2, I see enough differences between throwing and the best swings that I don't associate them together.

Just my style...not that my is right and the other is wrong...it just doesn't fit for me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
The move I am talking about has more to do with the rear leg/foot. What drives the rear leg? Are you just trying to rotate it inward or forward with the upper thigh or knee or are you exerting a profound pressure on the rear foot with a feeling of trying to rotate the rear foot clockwise which will lead to you driving off the big toe/inside of the foot? I see the latter in the throwing motion even though you may not need to try to rotate the foot clockwise just drive off the inside of the foot to get the leg rotating/moving down and in. I don't believe everyone agrees this happens in hitting so I at least wanted to see if everyone agreed it happens while throwing. If so, why wouldn't they agree it happens in hitting? My post is probably confusing but that's the best way I can describe it...sorry!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Short answer no. Watch Don Slaught presentation on Right View Pro or Mike's Candrea. What some are posting is not even close to what they are talking about throwing is hitting, because Don and Mike are talking about weight shift! There are some old posts on here by hitter / Howard Carrier that cover it in detail. Quote " Momentum is used for throwing and hitting, so in my opinion hitting is throwing and throwing is hitting or is it the other way around? To summarize throwing…throwing is hitting and hitting is throwing. We build momentum to throw and hit and it takes balance, timing and rhythm to do it. I consider both hitting and throwing as using a linear weight shift.
Our method of throwing is basically from an outfielder’s perspective and is not situational throwing. "

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The pool Hall guy has not posted for three days, yet he now responds that he knows more than a MLB hitting coach does. I think I will go with Don Slaught over a guy that has a kid playing D2 baseball! Your turn Richard. As I sent a PM to the poster you know why people won't post a opinion on some issues, because there is a select group on here that attack anything they think doesn't follow a selected teaching. Yet we have so many kids playing softball in the college ranks hitting HR's Look at Valpo college to name one. Yet per a selected person he posted it not a major D1, so it doesn't count. Boulderdad dd, could put most of his students to shame! Her video was posted, yet do we see any students from others that claim they have a better method!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish