Throwing help.....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2010
ok I might have to play shortstop this year for a really good team. When i throw it i have bad rotation I have heard to go over top but i tried and i still have bad rotation and i really want help with this!

Thanks for your time
Please answer and help

Jul 26, 2010
An alternative to pointing your glove is to point your elbow of your glove hand instead. My daughter is very flexible yet always had a horrid sidearm rotation. I finally broke it down one day and realized she was over-extending her glove hand behind her back, causing her body to get sideways and forcing her to throw around herself. Once she started pointing with her elbow instead, everything fell into place. This is also a more natural position as it keeps the glove by your cheek where a lot of coaches prefer (two hands on the ball longer I guess). Always make sure you finish with your throwing hand to your opposite hip (like you were going to draw a sword). If your hand is finishing higher, you're probably throwing across your body.

Some other drills to consider is to put a rag or a dish towel in your throwing hand and have a partner kneel in front of you with a "target" facing upwards(a glove works fine). Try to hit the target with your normal throwing motion. If you're throwing sideways, the arc of the towel will make it clear to you and you'll probably miss the target.

It's also good to just get back to basics, take a knee, brace your throwing arm on the elbow with your glove, and just work on "flicking" the ball to someone in front of you. Concentrate on a good 12 to 6 4 seam rotation with your fingers finishing pointing towards your target. This is impossible to do sidearm. You'll get used to the motion and the spin, so you can use it to judge your throws from your normal standing/stepping position. If the spin is different, you're doing something wrong.

-W

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
This will help you immensely if you can practice the fundamentals talked about here, and when you do make mistakes knowing(or figuring out) what you did to cause them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish