Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I would start with the Equal Protection Clause and move on from there. You can't tell them what restroom to use based on gender. There is no way you will force one to use a facemask an not the other.

You mean other then the mask they force softball players to wear when they bat that baseball doesn't have to wear?

Feb 7, 2013
Here's another factor for mandating masks.

A close friend of mine was talking with a well connected coach for the largest travel ball organization in the US. The coach said next year the organization is seriously considering not selecting pitchers for their team that wore masks. The reason given was that college coaches will not recruit pitchers who wore them.

Hopefully this policy will not become reality because if you are a parent and want your DD to wear a mask, she will be at a huge disadvantage in the recruiting process.

So much for the government taking away our freedom of choice, how about these orgs and colleges?

Feb 18, 2014

A close friend of mine was talking with a well connected coach for the largest travel ball organization in the US. The coach said next year the organization is seriously considering not selecting pitchers for their team that wore masks. The reason given was that college coaches will not recruit pitchers who wore them.

Hopefully this policy will not become reality because if you are a parent and want your DD to wear a mask, she will be at a huge disadvantage in the recruiting process.

So much for the government taking away our freedom of choice, how about these orgs and colleges?

At least they are honest and upfront that your DD is a number, not a person.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You mean other then the mask they force softball players to wear when they bat that baseball doesn't have to wear?

Apples and oranges. Who exactly is the they you are referring to? You need to understand that there is a major difference between a rule put forth by an organization where membership is voluntary and a state statute that applies to all within its jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Based on the OP Travel Ball would not be affected. The OP only referenced High School. If a player has the goods they will get recruited. The mask stigma is just an excuse for parents with kids who maybe do not have the requisite skills to play at the level desired. The premise that a coach will pass on a truly gifted player that would add value to their program due to them wearing a mask is a myth.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Based on the OP Travel Ball would not be affected. The OP only referenced High School. If a player has the goods they will get recruited. The mask stigma is just an excuse for parents with kids who maybe do not have the requisite skills to play at the level desired. The premise that a coach will pass on a truly gifted player that would add value to their program due to them wearing a mask is a myth.

It isn't a myth if travel ball coaches in top travel ball orgs erroneously believe that masks make players weak and are detrimental to their recruiting chances for their players.

About 4 years ago many rec leagues in SoCal mandated masks for all pitchers and the policy is a good one IMO. We need to get rid of this unfounded stigma that somehow masks make players weak or ineffective. When it comes to player safety, I have no problem with mandates.

Aug 6, 2013

I prey this was misunderstood - If not I'm not sure how this organization got to be the bigest in the US with Idiots running it.

Feb 7, 2013
I prey this was misunderstood - If not I'm not sure how this organization got to be the bigest in the US with Idiots running it.

I will tell you one thing. I wouldn't want to be that coach who told his pitcher to take off that mask and than she gets a line drive to her head. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Nov 18, 2013
I will tell you one thing. I wouldn't want to be that coach who told his pitcher to take off that mask and than she gets a line drive to her head. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'd be more worried about the coach or arganization that told girls they had to wear unapproved equipment and were still injured when they got hit with a line drive. There's so many masks on the market and no standards to prove they're all actually effective it would be hard to mandate something that could possibly do more harm than good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole