Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Are softball pitchers more vulnerable to injury than baseball pitchers? They are closer, but the exit speeds in baseball are faster.

I thought the BBCOR lowered the exit speed for baseballs?
I'm all for masks in youth baseball too - but generally Baseball players are further away and less in jeopardy

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Are softball pitchers more vulnerable to injury than baseball pitchers? They are closer, but the exit speeds in baseball are faster.

I don't know what the numbers are, but I have never heard a baseball pitcher's mom say, Billy's job is the pitch, the other kids are the fielders... Or some such similar nonsense. But I have heard that in softball. Pitchers are often time the worse fielders on the diamond because no one cares if they learn how to catch the ball as long as she can pitch it fast with movement.

I suppose its partly because in the younger levels of baseball the pitchers have to play other positions if they hope to play more then one game a weekend.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would start with the Equal Protection Clause and move on from there. You can't tell them what restroom to use based on gender. There is no way you will force one to use a facemask an not the other.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I would start with the Equal Protection Clause and move on from there. You can't tell them what restroom to use based on gender. There is no way you will force one to use a facemask an not the other.

I was joking as I think you are with the constitutional aspect.

The face mask is a piece of safety equipment that various leagues may or may not decide to mandate at some future date but if I was a betting man I'd bet that within 10 years they will be just as mandated as batting helmets are today at the youth and high school level.

I don't think it is a good idea for state legislatures to get involved with but while they are debating such they can't really get in trouble with the important stuff like misspending our money.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Mandating JO FP pitchers to wear fielders masks was proposed and rejected as an ASA rule at the annual council meeting last month in Reno, NV.

The other issue is that currently there is no standard for fielders masks similar to NOCSAE for batting helmets and helmet facemasks. Until a standard is in place, it is not feasible to introduce a rule mandating a piece of equipment be worn. If a rule is passed without a standard, dear old dad could weld something together in the backyard shop that would meet the rule of wearing a fielders mask....

My understanding is that currently there is no work underway to establish a standard since there is no rule in place to mandate a standard being necessary...that sounds like a never ending circle. Once a rule is passed, theoretically, work would begin on establishing a standard. That is an approx two year project, could possibly be done in 18 months. So even if a rule is passed, it cannot take effect until the standard is in place.

The bottom line is that there is no rule against wearing any fielders mask you want today.

There is probably a better chance of changes to the official ball with the COR and Compression...i believe that the NCAA and ASA are partnering in some studies currently to judge the effect changing the ball would have on the girls/women's FP game. I would anticipate seeing some information regarding that soon.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would argue that this is not sexist, because at the high school level, "softball" is not simply "baseball played by girls."

I think in the eyes of the law they would be considered the same thing. It certainly would be an interesting proceeding. However, I doubt that the nuances understood by those intimate with the two games would be considered. Regardless you cannot by gender subject one group to a law and not the other. If such legislation were to be passed I think there would be numerous folks prepared to challenge it in the courts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii