Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Of course the bias exists as do others. The myth is the claim that it is a widespread and pervasive bias, which it is not.

Would you agree that if an organization like the Firecrackers (with over 100 teams nationally) instituted a no mask policy that it would have a big influence on whether or not certain players would be at a severe disadvantage being recruited by college teams?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Would you agree that if an organization like the Firecrackers (with over 100 teams nationally) instituted a no mask policy that it would have a big influence on whether or not certain players would be at a severe disadvantage being recruited by college teams?

One wonders how long it would take such an organization to get sued if one of their players had an injury that would've been prevented by a mask.

Yes, I realize the waiver and all that. BUT, if an organization is actively discouraging girls from taking safety precautions, and if a girl gets hurt because of it, one could make a case for negligence.

Aug 6, 2013
I believes this is the relm of the parents and then the High School Athletic Associations and other body's that govern Fastpitch (NSA, USSSA, ASA, PGF) NOT the legislature.

I don't want this to be a government mandate -
I just wish people were smart enough to protect the kid's with out government legislation.

Dec 11, 2010
I only bring this up in regard to the earlier posts about mask effectiveness.

DD was hit very hard with a rocket line drive square in the Rip-it mask as a second year 10u. Yes, I know it was 10's but there are some kids around here that have always been able to hit hard and this was one of them. DD was pitching so the distance was probably about 30'. She threw in upper 40's at the time. The ball dropped straight down after it hit so it expended all of its energy on the mask. It was the scariest thing I think two experienced ball teams had seen, (the two teams played almost 200 games combined that season). Play stopped immediately, it hit really hard.

The mask contacted her on the left side of her jaw and left a couple red marks where the mask was pushed into her outside the chin cup which had been traded for a Gameface chin pad. It was slightly bent. She came out of the game immediately and then the rain came, ending the tournament. I thought she had just gotten a really bad scare but looking back I wonder if she was quiet and "different" at dinner because she had a concussion. Most head shots that I have seen resulted in injury are glancing hits off the head or mask. This was square.

I thank Heaven and Rip-it because if she wasn't wearing it it could have been really, really bad. The mask worked.

She will always wear a mask pitching but the state should not be in the business of sports equipment legislation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

As with any free market after a very short time there would be little to no discernible effect. However, this is all conjecture and quite unlikely to occur. Unless you put stock into the guy who knew a guy, who worked with a guy, who lived across the street from someone who talked to a Big D1 coach. Show me a YouTube or other clip of a credible coach going on record confirming this nonsense. All anyone ever comes up with is a conversation they overheard while at a clinic...

Jun 18, 2010
As with any free market after a very short time there would be little to no discernible effect. However, this is all conjecture and quite unlikely to occur. Unless you put stock into the guy who knew a guy, who worked with a guy, who lived across the street from someone who talked to a Big D1 coach. Show me a YouTube or other clip of a credible coach going on record confirming this nonsense. All anyone ever comes up with is a conversation they overheard while at a clinic...

The reason you wont see that is for the very phrase you used, "credible coach". Just because someone won't go on record, doesn't mean it still doesn't exist. I'll go on record as stating it has recently happened to my DD. Will there ever be video of the D1 coach who did it? Probably not. Does that make it any less real, no.

Look RB, I agree with you on about 90% of the things you post. But to try and draw an inference that some prejudice against masks does not exist because there is lack of audible or video evidence is absurd.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
"It doesn't make sense to me that they made a rule that the batters had to wear a face mask because the pitchers were throwing 60 and 65 miles an hour and some of them were getting hit," said Harreld. "Yet, the ball is being hit back at these pitchers and corners at 100 to a 120 mile an hour."

Is everyone in Kentucky using illegal bats?

While I am a big fan of fielding masks, I am not a big fan of government getting involved in ANYTHING!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi