Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Article in Fastsports (MN Fastpitch clearinghouse). I think our government should worry about bigger things but...

New Bill in Kentucky Would Enhance Safety for Fast Pitch Softball Players

Members of the 2015 Kentucky General Assembly will be asked to toughen safety standards for girl's high school fast pitch softball. The proposed measure would require the pitcher, plus players at first and third base to wear protective masks.

The issue was discussed last week during a legislative meeting in Frankfort. Meade County Softball Coach Mike Harreld testified before the Interim Education Committee.

"It doesn't make sense to me that they made a rule that the batters had to wear a face mask because the pitchers were throwing 60 and 65 miles an hour and some of them were getting hit," said Harreld. "Yet, the ball is being hit back at these pitchers and corners at 100 to a 120 mile an hour."

Committee member Hubie Collins believes the Kentucky High School Athletic Association should act on the issue before it is considered by lawmakers.

KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett says it is an important safety issue, and legislative action would help speed up the process.

"The 2014 meeting in the spring was the first time the national office has really considered the rule. But, for us, it's a little slower process," said Tackett. "This would accelerate it and being a safety issue, it's certainly something we should look at."

If passed, Coach Harreld believes the change would be accepted over time. "Just like batting, the first thing I heard was 'I can't see out of this thing, I can't see.' Pretty soon, that talk stopped, and nobody complains about it anymore," said Harreld.

Bill Sponsor Jeff Greer told the committee some girls object to wearing the mask in the field because of its appearance. Greer expects to file the bill during the 2015 session.

Source: WKU

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Been saying it for a couple years now-due to liability, insurance claims, and even a few lawsuits that some state high schools will begin requiring this as a demand from their insurance carrier. Its carriers and regulators making the demand simply from a bottom line/money perspective.

All it takes is one claim for the carrier to raise concern or even raise your MOD rate and thus your premiums or drop you as a school. My region had 12 insurance claims for players getting hit in face with a ball over the last year alone.

Carriers don't want to pay for these claims if there is equipment to prevent the loss. Just like masks on helmets.

Add to this argument the boom on concussions (almost every face injury has a concussion attached to it)and the fear that the medical field has with their effects. Drs will not release a player for the slightest reasons as if there are effects after the release its the dr that's sued. Carriers don't want to pay for the injury and they are terrified of a concussion claim as it can be a lifetime disability!

If one state mandates it others will-snowball effect.

Now Ive seen the argument how do you regulate the effectiveness of the facemask through a governing body. That's a good question. I will also say that even football helmets were not rated for damage or concussions until recently so I think this point will be an afterthought just like in other sports.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I am all for masks and I think that the national High School coaches association will push it through at some point and maybe the Insurance Co's will be the driving force...while they are at it maybe they could put an end to the HS step back rule for pitchers as well.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Are softball pitchers more vulnerable to injury than baseball pitchers? They are closer, but the exit speeds in baseball are faster.

Don't know that answer but its directly tied to the number of claims if we could find that. I know in my region its 10 to 1 softball head injuries to baseball head injuries per the method being discussed. I would "assume" its relative everywhere.

WHY I am not exactly sure. Whats the correlation of exit speed to distance-as in 5mphequal 1 foot etc? We may not be talking apples to apples comparing baseballs distance/exit speeds to softballs distance/exit speeds.

Nov 18, 2013
Bill Sponsor Jeff Greer told the committee some girls object to wearing the mask in the field because of its appearance.
Source: WKU

In my eyes this is the key point of the facemask debate. Parents want their kids to wear masks, but are afraid or unwilling to make them do it. If it's a rule for everyone they won't have to resort to parenting or worry about their kid being different from the others. Safety is secondary to many mask regulation proponents.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Baseball has really toned the bats down because of the exit speeds and now they are like swinging a wood bat (Much more expensive). I would like to see the bats stopped where they are at because if they get any hotter softball will be where baseball is today (I enjoy a home run once in a while).

Most of the pitchers up here in the frozen tundra are wearing masks and I would say it is about 50/50 for 3rd base. We do not see many 1B with masks as there are very few left handed power hitters up this way.

Both of the pitchers on daughters HS team took balls off their legs and had to leave the game...both wear masks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi