Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I think in the eyes of the law they would be considered the same thing. It certainly would be an interesting proceeding. However, I doubt that the nuances understood by those intimate with the two games would be considered. Regardless you cannot by gender subject one group to a law and not the other.
If such legislation were to be passed I think there would be numerous folks prepared to challenge it in the courts.

In boys' lacrosse, they wear helmets. My buddy's daughter suffered a concussion, because in girls' lacrosse they don't. Same sport, different kids. OTOH, baseball and softball are substantially different at the HS level. I don't disagree that it would be an interesting legal proceeding.

May 8, 2012
NJ
I would argue that this is not sexist, because the high school level, "softball" is not simply "baseball played by girls."

I would like to think that if the boys were playing softball, with equivalent bats, they would be facing the same choices. The 60' bases are the game changer..not the gender.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In boys' lacrosse, they wear helmets. My buddy's daughter suffered a concussion, because in girls' lacrosse they don't. Same sport, different kids. OTOH, baseball and softball are substantially different at the HS level. I don't disagree that it would be an interesting legal proceeding.

Who does the mandating makes all the difference in the world. An organization enjoys flexibility which government entities do not.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I would like to think that if the boys were playing softball, with equivalent bats, they would be facing the same choices. The 60' bases are the game changer..not the gender.

Even more so, it is the pitching distance. Boys pitching on the smaller diamond get an extra 6' or 11' depending on the age level. All other things being the same (reaction time, fielding ability, etc.), simple geometry says that plenty of comebackers that hit a softball pitcher will miss a baseball pitcher just because of their trajectory.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Who does the mandating makes all the difference in the world. An organization enjoys flexibility which government entities do not.
I don't disagree, but if I were an attorney defending the mandates when they are not also required for baseball players, those are the arguments I would be making.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Even more so, it is the pitching distance. Boys pitching on the smaller diamond get an extra 11'. All other things being the same (reaction time, fielding ability, etc.), simple geometry says that plenty of comebackers that hit a softball pitcher will miss a baseball pitcher just because of their trajectory.

While I agree with the theory, unfortunately the data to back it up is not captured in a reliable format. Failing that all you are left with is conjecture. Conjecture which to most makes complete sense, but conjecture none the less.

May 8, 2012
NJ
In boys' lacrosse, they wear helmets. My buddy's daughter suffered a concussion, because in girls' lacrosse they don't. Same sport, different kids.

We have something similar to this in NJ. Though I heard the rule will be changed this yr..HS softball, metal cleats are illegal to use, but the boys can in baseball. LL is the same, at least here. Baseball Jr and Sr leauge can wear metal, but the equivalent ages in softball can't. That I do find to be sexist

Dec 11, 2010
When you see state legislatures taking up issues like this it is usually to distract the people from the problems they can't or won't solve.

Also keep in mind that there are "do nothing" congress critters who bring up issues like this for attention and these bills have no chance whatsoever of getting out of committee.

Both of these things happen all the time here in Illinois.

Nothing to see here, move along.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I agree the gov should stay out of it.. its common sense that shouldnt require gov involvement.... I think the leagues should make the safety equipment mandatory for all players regardless of position and gender starting at TBALL .. as soon as that happens this whole discussion will be mute in 10 yrs... the whole idea that "if you wear a mask you have less skill" is so flawed its not even worth arguing... and for those who insist MY KID will not wear one - thats fine.. your call and your choice... but are you willing to back up that stance by signing a waiver that says you will PAY 100% of your kids medical bills and will not rely on government help? I as a tax payer dont want to be stuck with the bill for your choice - put your wallet where your mouth is and Ill respect the decision but Im tired of the "Ill do what I want but if I or my kid gets hurt I demand gov. to pay for it regarldess of how stupid my choices were"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball