Thoughts on this swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

SL, have you ever used 2 tees to put the hand path drill into practical use? I set up a higher tee closer to the hitter with a lower tee on the plate. The lower tee has the ball on it and your hitter has to swing keeping the hands high enough so that bat doesnt hit the inside high tee...I might have a video somewhere...those tees with multiple positions work great if you have an extra tee pipe....

Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

Rich
This is my daughter from a couple of years ago.
We do slo motion swings.
Go out to toe touch and do the Evis move to get the hips to lead and then slo-mo to impact

To further the drill, you could reverse chain this drill!!
Have not reversed chained this drill but think I am going to start some of it.

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, have you ever used 2 tees to put the hand path drill into practical use? I set up a higher tee closer to the hitter with a lower tee on the plate. The lower tee has the ball on it and your hitter has to swing keeping the hands high enough so that bat doesnt hit the inside high tee...I might have a video somewhere...those tees with multiple positions work great if you have an extra tee pipe....

MTS
video of that would be great

Going to ask Casey to make a couple of videos. She is back from college this weekend.

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
put the majority of her weight on the inside edge of the back foot and learn to "walk off" the back foot from the inside edge of the foot.

do the Evis move to get the hips to lead and then slo-mo to impact

These two pieces of advice can sometimes appear contradictory ... that is, many people that place a focus on performing the Elvis move bypass the first piece of advice.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Near the elbow. The lead elbow goes a couple inches forward then up the ramp as you go to bat lag, knob of bat pointed to pitcher, then release the bat head to contact.

Getting the tilt and turn has to be applied.
Casey could have tilted a little more in video and slotted alittle closer, but the video is for a visual. 99% of the people here get that.

Teaching girls and boys, girls slot alittle farther away from the body verses boys.

I hope I dont need to explain the birds and the bees to tell you why girls slot farther away.lol

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Got it. Thanks!

Theory is nice ... but don't forget to seek confirmation by reviewing the swings of the best hitters out there.

33p5wjk.gif

1zyg9vl.gif

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Got it. Thanks!

The arm will slot at different places depending on pitch location. It will slot more away on an outside pitch.
The knob will also travel out towards the plate more.
Hand Path is tilt and turn and hand Path

Slotting of back arm away from body is flexable depending on pitch location. I have seen Crystal in a game take one out of the dirt, way outside. I can tell you her arm did not slot next to her body.

Will look for that video.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The arm will slot at different places depending on pitch location. It will slot more away on an outside pitch.
The knob will also travel out towards the plate more.
Hand Path is tilt and turn and hand Path

Slotting of back arm away from body is flexable depending on pitch location. I have seen Crystal in a game take one out of the dirt, way outside. I can tell you her arm did not slot next to her body.

Will look for that video.

Straightleg

Bold above ... Assuming you meant Crystl ... we can add that her rear forearm was far from being vertical at the RVP connection point position.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You must also adjust the rear forearm based on body type. Those that give lessons to older females understand why. A cookie cutter approach for all players just doesn't work. This is an issue with posting video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi