Thoughts on this swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Hi everyone, would love some feedback. Playing with making GIFs, hope it works : >

allison400.gif

R

RayR

Rich,

Have her work on getting the front foot down earlier - and

Turn the back foot in like it is pigeon toed - put the majority of her weight on the inside edge of the back foot and learn to "walk off" the back foot from the inside edge of the foot. At the same time she is walking off the inside edge of the back foot - her hands and rear shoulder should be making a move to the ball - this is not a committment to swing - just the first move

To do this naturally - her front foot needs to be established so her weight can transfer.

The path of her hands and rear shoulder will initially be forward (but from an overhead view there will be some arc to the path) so you can think of it as a diagonal move - not straight forward and not over the plate....

If you watch the clip below - Benji's weight is coming off the inside edge of rear foot - not off all 5 toes, but off the inside edge and the big toe.

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

Watch her back foot in this abbreviated clip

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eldrCUoVv4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Doing this will transform her swing from an arm swing to swing powered by the lower body...then it is matter of making sure her hands/wrists turn the barrel into the ball...

Sep 17, 2009
Yep, I was surprised by the degree of bat drag...her lower body "appears" active but isn't actually leading the way. MTS, thanks for the suggestions. Any other thoughts on fixes appreciated, tks.

R

RayR

Rich - try a wedge of some sort to get the outside edge of rear foot off the ground so the weight is on the inside edge - or a 3/4" piece of wood will do.

I should clarify that the weight is primarily on the inside edge of the ball of the foot into the big toe - not so much across the whole inside edge of the foot - the heel will not have a lot of weight on it...then you start seeing her dragging the heel and that is not what we are looking for...

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I made this box that angles to the floor.
It helps the hitter keep the weight and feel the weight on the inside of the leg.
It helps so they dont load over top the back leg.

Want a better weight shift, move the back foot higher on the box.

Just get them to slow fall off box and like throwing, separate the hands as you fall. Then swing through
Keep it simple

Working from ground up - just like SB family said.

This is my middle daughter Jami - lefty, 3 sport player - not softball.
She said why am I doing this and are we done yet.

Straightleg

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

Rich
This is my daughter from a couple of years ago.
We do slo motion swings.
Go out to toe touch and do the Evis move to get the hips to lead and then slo-mo to impact

To further the drill, you could reverse chain this drill!!
Have not reversed chained this drill but think I am going to start some of it with some of the kids I work with.

Straightleg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks for showing the video.I was wondering what I could use to show my DD the correct hand path.I will be making one of these today.Thanks for helping the average dads who just want to help our DD get better.You along with the other posters have been down this path and can help us learn what works best for the girls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802