Thoughts on 10u daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
That would be Warren Wolff. Is your dd still looking? I think our 10's might need a pitcher. They are a tough little team.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yep, she definitely steps back before she pitches. That is still legal in LL for some reason but not in any other code. Has to be the first thing fixed.

She is very straight armed through the pitch. Look at about 0:07 in the video and everything is very straight and even locked out. My DD's pitching coach talks about looking like a 'W' rather than a 'K' or 'T'. Relax and whip rather than big circle and torque.

There is a lot to like here though. Like the nice high knee on the stride leg. Fixing the step back will hopefully make her feel more like a sprint start than a running start but the concept is right.

This was on another thread so you might see it but just in case... The position at 1:20/1:21 is the 'W'. It helps get everything working together for my DD - both arms, both legs get into the pitch

[video=youtube_share;IJ1i5S3VQoE]http://youtu.be/IJ1i5S3VQoE[/video]

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Whatever you do, *DO NOT* mimic the pitcher in marriad's video. She is closing her hips as the arm passes the hips. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As to your DD, one problem is that her left shoulder never goes "under" at release. Attached is a shot of Jenny Finch at release. Look at the location of the right shoulder. You'll see her right shoulder (she is a righty, your DD is a lefty) is several inches lower than her left shoulder. This results in increased speed. Now look at your DD. Your DD never dips her shoulder. She keeps it level all the way through the pitch, which probably results in problems with early closing.

If you think about throwing overhand, the shoulder on the throwing arm always goes "up and over". So, in an underhand motion, the shoulder goes "down and under".

Attachments

• finch-at-release..JPG
    finch-at-release..JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Pitched in her first hot stove game of the season ( plays travel in a local Lorain / medina county league....and play tournament travel also) pitched four innings 11k's...2 walks....no runs....still have mechanics to work on ....thanks sluggers aware of that problem and working on...but satisfied with the performance to start the season. Will get some video up this week still looking for all the help I can get, so thanks all who have responded so far.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Pitched in her first hot stove game of the season ( plays travel in a local Lorain / medina county league....and play tournament travel also) pitched four innings 11k's...2 walks....no runs....still have mechanics to work on ....thanks sluggers aware of that problem and working on...but satisfied with the performance to start the season. Will get some video up this week still looking for all the help I can get, so thanks all who have responded so far.

Great outing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC