Thoughts of +/-'s of open practices before tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
My daughter will be doing her first tryouts in a couple weeks and multiple teams are having open practices prior to tryouts. We went yesterday to watch one team and she really liked what she saw as far as how organized practice seemed and that the girls seemed to be having alot of fun. After, she expressed that she would really like to be on that team so Im planning on bringing her to one or two more of the practices before tryouts.

I get that open practices are a great way to see if there is a comfort level with the other girls and as a basic warmup to the tryout. I also see it could be a positive if she goes to a few of their practices and does well but on tryout day has an off day. But could the opposite ring true before the actual tryouts if she has an off day at the open practice but does well in the tryout? Or am I thinking into this way too much?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thinking way to much. What age group? Put the cleats on and get out there. If i was going to just watch a practice I probably would not take DD. Good coach see talent and athletics thru good or bad days. Most bad days come from being nervous. Prepare, relax, breathe and get out there.

Apr 1, 2017
If you are attending multiple open practices for one team, then yes, whether positive or negative, it will impact the actual tryout. To the coaches, the open practices are "tryouts". If your daughter did really well for 4 hours of open practices, I wouldn't expect a poor 1 hour tryout to matter as much. The opposite would also be true.

Jul 22, 2015
My daughter will be doing her first tryouts in a couple weeks and multiple teams are having open practices prior to tryouts. We went yesterday to watch one team and she really liked what she saw as far as how organized practice seemed and that the girls seemed to be having alot of fun. After, she expressed that she would really like to be on that team so Im planning on bringing her to one or two more of the practices before tryouts.

I get that open practices are a great way to see if there is a comfort level with the other girls and as a basic warmup to the tryout. I also see it could be a positive if she goes to a few of their practices and does well but on tryout day has an off day. But could the opposite ring true before the actual tryouts if she has an off day at the open practice but does well in the tryout? Or am I thinking into this way too much?
Probably overthinking things a bit much, but.... if you attend multiple open practices they should have seen enough to know if they want her to join. Can't really see why they would also need you at a tryout unless they just haven't seen enough to make you an offer.

Oct 4, 2018
If you are attending multiple open practices for one team, then yes, whether positive or negative, it will impact the actual tryout. To the coaches, the open practices are "tryouts". If your daughter did really well for 4 hours of open practices, I wouldn't expect a poor 1 hour tryout to matter as much. The opposite would also be true.

Exactly this.

Open practices are tryouts, just named differently. They are taking notes (sometimes on paper, sometimes mentally). And if you go to more than one, they will (correctly, most likely) assume you and your girl are serious about joining.

My other daughter (not mentioned here much) went to one last night. They asked us to stick around after and they made her an offer. She was over the moon, but we still have some other teams to check out. Sometimes they make offers too quickly and then you start wondering what that means. :D

Jun 11, 2013
I think it's great to do it. You can see what the coaches are like. They can evaluate based on multiple nights versus 10 pitches in a tryout. Just keep in mind that once you are on a team if you go to one they will know so don't not tell them.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD has attended couple open practices with a team she is interested in. I would rather do open practices than tryouts. Both team and player get a better idea of what each bring to the table.

DD was offered after 2nd practice, but they are so early that we told them we have at least one team we want to go tryout for which will be in another week and half. They were perfectly fine with that and want DD to keep coming to practices. Even offered for her to pickup with them in at a tournament to make sure they are who she wants to play for. Unfortunately, It's the same Saturday as the other tryout she wants to go to.

For them it's good cause the more practices she attends with them, the more she is liking what they do.