They ought to tar and feather him!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Just got an e-mail from the Dad of one of the international kids I was privledged to work with.

She got a full ride and in her freshman year, the college hired a 70 year old pitching coach.

She was a very talented leap and drag pitcher. He made her change over to step style, throwing with all arm, as the dad described it. Early on she hurt her elbow and was diagnosed with major tennis elbow.

She was the best of the three pitchers on the team. So what does this old idiot do? He ices her elbow before every game to the point she could not feel the softball with her fingers many games. She ended up throwing 77% of all their games her freshman year.

Then she was told by the doctors she needed surgery and would not be able to return to sports at all.

She left the college and went to another. The #2 pitcher also left with arm problems and the #3 pitcher, had serious elbow problems the last he heard.

The college fired the old man as he was not qualified to teach but was a big name in the eastern states as a pitcher when he was a young man.

I cannot believe this kind of crap can still happen.

ARRGH.

SNEAKY SOFTBALL PITCHING .COM

CT-TEXAS.COM

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Sneaky softball pitching .com

I'm going to stay away from the comments that could be made, i would eliminate the age though,
however SNEAKY SOFTBALL PITCHING .COM i saw the video of the 10 year old, amazing.

Any idea if she's been doing this for 2-3 years or how long?

Does that DVD for 24.97 get into the delivery of the video shown?

tks

really looks good to me what she does.

Dec 30, 2009
Just got an e-mail from the Dad of one of the international kids I was privledged to work with.

She got a full ride and in her freshman year, the college hired a 70 year old pitching coach.

She was a very talented leap and drag pitcher. He made her change over to step style, throwing with all arm, as the dad described it. Early on she hurt her elbow and was diagnosed with major tennis elbow.

She was the best of the three pitchers on the team. So what does this old idiot do? He ices her elbow before every game to the point she could not feel the softball with her fingers many games. She ended up throwing 77% of all their games her freshman year.

Then she was told by the doctors she needed surgery and would not be able to return to sports at all.

She left the college and went to another. The #2 pitcher also left with arm problems and the #3 pitcher, had serious elbow problems the last he heard.

The college fired the old man as he was not qualified to teach but was a big name in the eastern states as a pitcher when he was a young.

I cannot believe this kind of crap can still happens.

ARRGH.

SNEAKY SOFTBALL PITCHING .COM

CT-TEXAS.COM
Mr. Skinner, What does the age of the coach have to do with your grief???
Mr. Skinner- I just looked at your video Promo- Please be more careful how you promote yourself ! I would ask you if a professional player who never significantly pitched at a Major League level could ever be considered a legendary pitcher?

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I know Hal is no spring chicken himself, so I'm guessing he gets particularly bothered when he sees someone who quit learning and improving himself years ago. I get bothered by the same thing. It's not so much the age of the person, it's that he makes the rest of us old guys look bad!

Feb 9, 2009
"Well...back in the day, we didn't throw softballs! We threw shotputs! And we threw 'em 90 MPH! You new fangled pitchers don't know what it's like to throw a REAL strike! And BATS...don't get me started on bats!! Composite, my arse! Try hitting a shotput with tire iron! THAT'S softball!"

hehe...I just love the visual! Reminds me of my first coach....

Dec 30, 2009
Again, Hal, hopefully I can be kind in what I'm continuing to say about your video promo! I've never felt that to be an excellent pitching coach, that you had to even have that much, if any, experience as a competitive pitcher and I've seen Hall of Fame pitchers who can't teach a lick. Your comments on this website in the short time I've been participating have been quite informative and prove you have a high knowledge of the game; so I'm not trying to disqualify you from creating a video and I know you have worked untold hours in putting this together; but please don't call yourself a legendary pitcher! Ty Stofflet, Herb Dudley, Harvey Sterkel, etc. are legendary! I hope I have not said too much- I will watch the video before I say anything more, if at all. Good Luck!!

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I'm guessing he gets particularly bothered when he sees someone who quit learning and improving himself years ago. I get bothered by the same thing. It's not so much the age of the person, it's that he makes the rest of us old guys look bad!

After looking at the tube website there are some videos there that appear could mess some one up as well,, to bad the "right content" can only be put on.

mho

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2009
OMR,

Check your PM's for your answer.

Sparky, I hope you agree with what Mr.Krause just said above - that a key qualification to coach is to continue to grow. If I have come across as all knowing- I apologize and I'm not 70. I will not be until next month! LOL

Oct 19, 2009
I’m not a pitching coach, but my daughter does pitch, which makes me an expert at nothing.

The ones who are in the leap and drag camp insist that the step style cause arm and shoulder problems, the ones who are in the step style of pitching camp claim that the leap and drag causes leg, spine and back problems.

The one thing I learned years ago is if a coach or instructor teaches a certain style or coaches a certain style of throwing, hitting, fielding or pitching they almost always put down the other styles as problematic. They are bad coaches out there, more bad than good, determining the good from the bad is the key. Look at the success of the coach, a good coach has good teams/players year in and year out while the other coaches have good teams/players on occasions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves