These HE PCs are killing me...killing me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Doug, I feel your pain. My DD was at a long clinic today and part of it was pitching with a PC pushing HE. It was so tough to watch. Everyone of the girls doing the drills looked awful. I did notice that they mostly left my DD alone. I followed up tonight and asked her if she said anything. I'm so proud of my little second grader speaking up and saying we don't do that. After we got home I had a feeling that I needed to see if what she went through today messed her up. We covered things to improve her pre motion that she just changed and then she pitched an inning. I said it only takes 9 strikes to get three outs and your done so that you can ride your bike. It took her 11 pitches but who's counting. So as I was putting her to bed I asked her how may pitches it took to get through her inning tonight. Without hesitating she says 11. All is good.

Mar 28, 2013
IR pitchers have always had to earn the right to keep pitching the way they do. HE pitchers can remain average and still get circle time.That's just the way it is.our organization produced 3 state TB champions, top five national team and top three regional teams.The one thing every one of these teams have?All the aces are IR pitchers. The other pitchers are HE and are taught that by the various PC flavor of the month.To their credit the coaches are smart enough to leave the aces alone. What shocks me is they all have very solid opinions on hitting, fielding, game strategy but they wont make a stand on IR. Thats really astonishing to me and personally Im done patronizing HE . they know better than to bring it up with me unless they actually take the time to give me some facts.The HE pitchers when put in the circle they hope to get a couple innings, The IR pitchers can go 7 and still dominate a good bunch of hitters. On the flip side I should thank the HE coaches because it really makes it easy for my DDs to standout.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I see it as a real flaw in the thinking of the HE types, thinking with regards to how to throw good pitches. They seem to think the palm and forearm should remain perpendicular to the target going into the point of release, at the point of release, and the follow-through after release. I see this HE as being simply an excessive focus on AIMING with a push. It's almost like they subconsciously envision how slow pitchers pitch--simply add a full arm circle and speed it up.

When they see an arm-whip/IR pitcher missing her target, which I have found to be too low and in or too high and away, they step in thinking they have the solution. They see that hand pointed up/out when her arm is at 9:00, then they see her hand whip inward just after release. In their minds, this is what is causing her to miss her target. They would try to correct this by telling the pitcher that she needs to get behind the ball--cock the wrist back and point the ball away when arm is at 9:00 so that your palm is square to the target. I've told the three pitchers I work with that they need to ignore this kind of nonsense if ever they hear it. Funny thing is that the girls essentially told me that they would ignore it anyway.

Bucket, I liked "That's really astonishing to me and personally I'm done patronizing HE . they know better than to bring it up with me unless they actually take the time to give me some facts."

With regards to arm-whip/IR, they aren't interested because they are not curious. And, they can't have YOU being more on top of things with something than THEY are. It's always got to be a peeing match. Why?

May 29, 2013
Took my dd to the place where the team practices. Two of the teams other pitchers were there getting lessons from a local collegiate pitcher. I tried not to pay them any mind and focus on my dd chucking gas at me. She was teaching h.e. Typical mechanics. They said nothing, i said nothing. Frankly, i think i'm done getting upset about how other people pitch. I've already "informed" three people trying to "fix" my dd. now she lets them know on her own. If they still persist then i step in.

Thank you to all the great contributors here.

Aug 20, 2013
So when you are pitching in front of someone with IR and you are missing and they want to correct you, what is the best come back? I totally understand saying nothing or i'll check with my PC if you are hitting it. But I am not sure what I would say if we were missing it and they wanted to try and change. I of course would say "no", but this early on, we are going to miss and going to miss a lot probably to start.

Thanks in advance.

GG

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
If she's missing low and inside it's "I'm releasing early" and if it's high and outside then it's "I'm releasing late." If your inside and high or outside and low...that's a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
So when you are pitching in front of someone with IR and you are missing and they want to correct you, what is the best come back? I totally understand saying nothing or i'll check with my PC if you are hitting it. But I am not sure what I would say if we were missing it and they wanted to try and change. I of course would say "no", but this early on, we are going to miss and going to miss a lot probably to start.

Thanks in advance.

GG

I like the "I'll ask my pitching coach."

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
So, OILF, it's your way or the highway if a pitcher, who isn't your pitching student, tells you, "I'll check with my pitching coach."?

If so, she'd take the highway.

Sep 10, 2013

Thanks in advance.

GG

what i told DD's HC. "we'll work on it". end of story

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp