The Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Certified with Courtney Hudson out of Alabama... Mycoachology on Instagram. I didn't mean to make it like she was some Pitching guru my point was the trainer had SOME decent pitching base and knowledge NOT HE.

We did a Zoom with Courtney Monday night and it was eye opening.

Furthest thing from Hello Elbow - She studies Body Mechanics - And the trainer focuses on Strength, Core and Balance weakness geared toward pitching and those movements

She pointed out small issues to focus on Arm whip / Stride leg TIMING!!!, Getting that front leg down with Intent!!! and Hand/finger release which seemed too late.

Small issues but major Speed killers... and it helped on the spot and gave us a better plan of attack.

She's also certified with High Level Throwing/Pitching and worked with Wasserman who we took a clinic with.
I didn't mean to imply that this coach you're talking about was a hello elbow person. I'm not sure if that's how you took it. I was only making a point that someone being "certified" is only as good as the person doing the certification, and assuming that coach is doing things the way the "certifier" would want. As I've said before a few times, this is why I've never done or been a part of a certification program: I'd have no way of knowing if the person I "certified" is actually doing things the way I would want, while using my name to drum up business. For me, it'd require a lot more oversight than I'm willing to do.

I'm truly glad you found a coach who is helping you and opened your eyes to some things. I don't know Ms. Hudson but it sounds like you found a great coach. I'm happy for you guys.

Nov 17, 2017
I didn't mean to imply that this coach you're talking about was a hello elbow person. I'm not sure if that's how you took it. I was only making a point that someone being "certified" is only as good as the person doing the certification, and assuming that coach is doing things the way the "certifier" would want. As I've said before a few times, this is why I've never done or been a part of a certification program: I'd have no way of knowing if the person I "certified" is actually doing things the way I would want, while using my name to drum up business. For me, it'd require a lot more oversight than I'm willing to do.

I'm truly glad you found a coach who is helping you and opened your eyes to some things. I don't know Ms. Hudson but it sounds like you found a great coach. I'm happy for you guys.

Thanks!!!

My Girl has a long way to go and a lot of work... She is lucky with the support. Pitching is a funny path for me, I personally wouldn't do it and If I were to go back in time I might dissuade her from it and just concentrate on Hitting and fielding. lol - I have a old thread I started stating I HATE PITCHING... :) It's Grueling. The other parents have no idea how much work the pitchers have to do.... Especially those of us with smaller girls and/or Late developers....

Our Team Asst coach also happens to be a pitching coach, former pitcher, and I think she's a Hillhouser lol.... I'll ask her again.

Jan 25, 2022
It's Grueling. The other parents have no idea how much work the pitchers have to do.

The hard part is, ya can't compete without competent pitching--and you know it. And I know it. All the pitcher parents in history knew it.

The other parents are oblivious to how important pitching is until the team is getting hammered because the pitcher that's up there struggling got a 15 minute lesson by one of the coaches who watched YouTube right before practice.

There has to be a few suckers like you and me who have a kid who is interested, and are willing to shell out the time and money. I'm sure between the cost of lessons, gas, food, and supplies/props/gadgets, I'm well beyond $6,000 over the course of the past 21 months. I'm certainly not loaded...it just slowly chips away at the wallet.

There are only a few schmucks like us who will shell out so much money that could be better spent elsewhere...just so we don't see the team suffer. I wouldnt change a thing, though.

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks!!!

My Girl has a long way to go and a lot of work... She is lucky with the support. Pitching is a funny path for me, I personally wouldn't do it and If I were to go back in time I might dissuade her from it and just concentrate on Hitting and fielding. lol - I have a old thread I started stating I HATE PITCHING... :) It's Grueling. The other parents have no idea how much work the pitchers have to do.... Especially those of us with smaller girls and/or Late developers....

Our Team Asst coach also happens to be a pitching coach, former pitcher, and I think she's a Hillhouser lol.... I'll ask her again.
Nonsense, pitching is wonderful.. they put a big circle around us on the field and everything!!! :)

You'll no doubt have a love hate relationship with the craft. There's so many things that will drive you absolutely insane, and other things that will make you excited for the next game. Similar to how, I always seem to hit a long straight drive on the 18th hole of a golf game (the prior 17 are all over the place) but that 18th brings me back for another round.

I'm not sure what it means to be a a "Hillhouser" is but, usually some penicilin will clear it right up. Unless she's wealthy, then we may be related.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I personally wouldn't do it and If I were to go back in time I might dissuade her from it and just concentrate on Hitting and fielding.

I can totally relate to this. DD is a freshman pitcher at a D1 mid major and I can’t help but think that of all positions on the team she has the most to prove and to lose. There’s a heck of a lot more chances to fail as a pitcher than any other position out there. Even when she’s not pitching she’s in the field and lineup due to her bat and I find I enjoy those games a bit more than when she’s pitching.

Just some advice - be a pitcher’s parent who rides the highs and lows with class and internalize emotions on both ends of the spectrum. I’ve been in the presence of pitcher’s parents who are loud and overly emotional when their kid gets a strikeout and then loudly blame the pitch calling when the ball gets put over the fence. It’s not a good look.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
I can totally relate to this. DD is a freshman pitcher at a D1 mid major and I can’t help but think that of all positions on the team she has the most to prove and to lose. There’s a heck of a lot more chances to fail as a pitcher than any other position out there. Even when she’s not pitching she’s in the field and lineup due to her bat and I find I enjoy those games a bit more than when she’s pitching.

Just some advice - be a pitcher’s parent who rides the highs and lows with class and internalize emotions on both ends of the spectrum. I’ve been in the presence of pitcher’s parents who are loud and overly emotional when their kid gets a strikeout and then loudly blame the pitch calling when the ball gets put over the fence. It’s not a good look.

As a pitcher parent, there is nothing more satisfying for me than seeing my kid throw strikes and/or give up hits, and I've never scolded her for bad outings. Pitching is really hard to do, and I've been there every step of the learning process. Right now her job is to get the ball over the plate, and if she's doing that (and I've told her this many times), then she's doing her job. At that point, it's up to the defense to do theirs. She's never gotten frustrated by giving up a big hit, and hopefully when she starts being more of a threat to batters, she'll keep that same mindset. The past is in the past. Get the ball back, get back to work.

Aug 3, 2022
I'm talking fastball here, normally wrist action is a no-teach for me. Lately I have taken on several students who came with a history of warming up with wrist snaps and using HE mechanics. Some had a few lessons and some were 'monkey see, monkey do'. After weaning them off snaps and teaching them basic IR arm action I'm noticing a certain lack of dynamic action at release and I'm wondering if they are locking the wrist as a reaction to my 'no wrist snaps" edict. Which leads me to the question; what does the wrist do in the IR pitching motion? How does it compare to what the wrist does in the overhand throwing motion, a question especially for those of you who have some fastpitch pitching experience. I'm asking this with the fastball in mind, I know that for other pitches there are different wrist positions so I want to leave them out of this.

This is the first time hearing about "no wrist snaps." Seems a little counterproductive.

Wrist snap IS needed to generate spin on some types of pitches. Not everyone throws them the same way but many pitchers employ at least a little snap for rise-balls and curveballs. My daughter's fastball is a few mph faster on higher pitches because she snaps the ball a little more.

May 13, 2021
The hard part is, ya can't compete without competent pitching--and you know it. And I know it. All the pitcher parents in history knew it.

The other parents are oblivious to how important pitching is until the team is getting hammered because the pitcher that's up there struggling got a 15 minute lesson by one of the coaches who watched YouTube right before practice.

There has to be a few suckers like you and me who have a kid who is interested, and are willing to shell out the time and money. I'm sure between the cost of lessons, gas, food, and supplies/props/gadgets, I'm well beyond $6,000 over the course of the past 21 months. I'm certainly not loaded...it just slowly chips away at the wallet.

There are only a few schmucks like us who will shell out so much money that could be better spent elsewhere...just so we don't see the team suffer. I wouldnt change a thing, though.
It is expensive in time and money, it also takes a different kind of kid to want to put in the work required to steadily improve. Most parents are also not willing or just cant afford the time or the money. It is for sure an emotional roller-coaster for the pitcher and the parent, that maybe the hardest part to learn to control for some.

Jan 25, 2022
It is expensive in time and money, it also takes a different kind of kid to want to put in the work required to steadily improve. Most parents are also not willing or just cant afford the time or the money. It is for sure an emotional roller-coaster for the pitcher and the parent, that maybe the hardest part to learn to control for some.

It's been even more than that for me as a parent. One big thing I learned is that she, who was always the drama queen, emotional roller coaster (epic tantrums as a toddler. pure ray of sunshine as a teenager) vs her sister who is the polar opposite, is actually very tough and becoming more and more driven. She's taken a lot on her shoulders, learned the value of hard work, and when a tough job or role needs filled (other than catcher..lol), she sees it as an opportunity to help the team and potentially more playing time. She's learning so much about herself that will benefit her later. Plus, having pitching knowledge and ability to teach (at some point) can be a nice side hustle for her during college and beyond.

To look at it another way, wouldn't all of us be ok with paying $6k if we knew how much of an effect it would have on our kids as they go into adulthood? It would pay off in spades.

Aug 21, 2008
This is the first time hearing about "no wrist snaps." Seems a little counterproductive.

Wrist snap IS needed to generate spin on some types of pitches. Not everyone throws them the same way but many pitchers employ at least a little snap for rise-balls and curveballs. My daughter's fastball is a few mph faster on higher pitches because she snaps the ball a little more.
ummmmm, I'm hoping the wires are crossed here. I don't want to speak for Armwhip, he's certainly capable of doing his own talking but.... I think the 'no wrist snaps' thing was in reference to warm ups. Youngabunga (great name by the way) are you saying you want your kid to do wrist snaps in the warm up routine? If so.... this thread will turn very interesting, very fast. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06