The value of the right pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'll give Denny credit for one thing. He learned how to monetize his daughter's success. That's not to say they aren't good instructors, but he's making a killing at what he does.

Yeah, he did well.

I have no idea what the pay structure is for him. Does he get a cut of each lesson a "Tincher-certified Instructor (TM)" gives? Or just the initial "certification"?

He has plenty of free videos out there. I watch most. Some are showcasing a student so less informative, but many do show that he knows what he's talking about. Pretty scientific, and he's done a tone of research and consulted with doctors and scientists and such. Seems pretty legit to me, but I'll admit I'm biased.

I count 80 instructors under him.

May 27, 2013
Great instructors are very rare. And sometimes hard to get time with.

Part of it *can* be a result of him having the luxury to only take on top students. We had to interview/apply to get in with our instructor. She's in high demand and feels her skills are best applied to above average pitchers to make them great pitchers. So she doesn't take on beginners.

The 4 years my dd was with Coach Joe he took on all ages and all experience levels. We never had a difficult time getting a slot with him - and he would find a way to fit us in if need be. He doesn’t overly promote himself like some other coaches in the area do (we found him by word of mouth) so that could also be why he always had decent availability. Also he is not a Tincher PC.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah, he did well.

I have no idea what the pay structure is for him. Does he get a cut of each lesson a "Tincher-certified Instructor (TM)" gives? Or just the initial "certification"?

He has plenty of free videos out there. I watch most. Some are showcasing a student so less informative, but many do show that he knows what he's talking about. Pretty scientific, and he's done a tone of research and consulted with doctors and scientists and such. Seems pretty legit to me, but I'll admit I'm biased.

I count 80 instructors under him.
That's a great question. His website shows 94 instructors. Even if they only pay him $1,000 per year year to maintain their certification, he's bringing in a lot. And that doesn't include new instructors, camps, videos, etc.

We only have one in our area as I believe he restricts overlap. She's been at it for a while, and considering she left her lucrative job as a school teacher, she must be doing something well. Oddly enough, her stable of alumni isn't made up of any D1 recruits.Screenshot_20230613_155016_Brave.jpg

Oct 4, 2018
The 4 years my dd was with Coach Joe he took on all ages and all experience levels. We never had a difficult time getting a slot with him - and he would find a way to fit us in if need be. He doesn’t overly promote himself like some other coaches in the area do (we found him by word of mouth) so that could also be why he always had decent availability. Also he is not a Tincher PC.

Atlanta might have a higher concentration of players. It's really taken off down here. Good instructors are booked solid, practice fields are nearly impossible to find, indoor facilities are jam packed. Mostly a good thing, of course.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Atlanta might have a higher concentration of players. It's really taken off down here. Good instructors are booked solid, practice fields are nearly impossible to find, indoor facilities are jam packed. Mostly a good thing, of course.
I would agree that it's the same here on all points except the taking off here one. Softball isn't huge here, but the costs are astronomical for indoor space, practice fields, and instructors. One local indoor facility was charging $45 per hour to the instructor to use their facility. They had a former MLB player on staff who gave lessons there, and he charged $180 per hour. He spent 14 years in the majors, so he was the highest price, but even the guy who spent 9 years in the majors charges $150 per hour.

Man, I have to get out of here...

Jun 8, 2016
I would agree that it's the same here on all points except the taking off here one. Softball isn't huge here, but the costs are astronomical for indoor space, practice fields, and instructors. One local indoor facility was charging $45 per hour to the instructor to use their facility. They had a former MLB player on staff who gave lessons there, and he charged $180 per hour. He spent 14 years in the majors, so he was the highest price, but even the guy who spent 9 years in the majors charges $150 per hour.

Man, I have to get out of here...
Guy DD goes to (for hitting) had a cup of coffee in the majors and uses an indoor cage on his property and he charges $100 an hour..

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Guy DD goes to (for hitting) had a cup of coffee in the majors and uses an indoor cage on his property and he charges $100 an hour..
My daughters both use the same hitting coach who charges the same amount. She played at a high-level D2 school, but that's the cost for the lesson at the indoor facility.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
I completely agree with the statement that who your daughter trains with matters. It's also important to find someone that resonates and connects with your DD. Sometimes a girl can "graduate" from current coach and need more advanced training. There is an abundance of pitching coaches where I live and plenty that played at high levels, though just because someone played at a high level doesn't mean they will be good instructors. Prices definitely vary. Currently my DD is lucky enough to Power House Mechanics. San Diego is their original home, but they are expanding all over the country. She currently see's Coach Rachel who does a great job teaching and connecting but also gets to see the founder Jason Iuli-Kinsey from time to time. Coach Jason is phenominal and the stuff he sees and teaches is amazing. My DD has always been a hard thrower, but they have tweaked her mechanics and taught her how to get the absolute most out of her pitching. We been completely satisfied with Power House and my DD loves it. Highly recomend it if they have locations where you live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi