The Sarah Pauly Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I don't recognize this release.....she has developed a bit of a dropcurve recently so it may be that but the stride is very confusing and questionable.....is this a live game pitch or a warm up pitch.....I don't see any fielders or hitter. Sarah does occasionally get called for a gym step.....and can correct it instantly without any degradation of pitch performance.....just a bad habit that creeps in. As you will note, the NPF plays on lots of fields with carpets layed on baseball fields or in this case and artificial turf. Without a push toe hole these habits creep in often.

Rick, Sarah appears to be pitching to a live batter, assuming in a Racers game.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Obviously there is another member who can add significantly more content here ;)

Looks like a curve.

sarah_pauly_curve_zpskwz7do0w.gif

Q1: Eyes don't seem to look towards the target until the back swing. Is this what is seen with most pitchers?

Q2: Is the mouth opening coming into release an exhale?

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Obviously there is another member who can add significantly more content here ;)

Looks like a curve.

sarah_pauly_curve_zpskwz7do0w.gif

Looks to be spinning it off the inside of her hand. Looks like it has some down and in drop to me. Maybe a fastball. Best I can tell, when paused, she's throwing it with 2 seams

Last edited:
Looks to be spinning it off the inside of her hand. Looks like it has some down and in drop to me. Maybe a fastball. Best I can tell, when paused, she's throwing it with 2 seams

Well, this is one ugly pitch! It appears she is striding screwball....her release action on a screwball is a drop-in spin which this may have....but it is fat down the middle. Kinda double ugly.

FF
I think many pitchers only take a glance at the target late in the motion vs starring it down through out the entire pitch. It is very normal to take a quick look early and then look down until about the point you see Sarah look up in this pitch. IMO, starring at the target is similar to muscling up and aiming.

The open mouth is a burst (exhale) at time of release. When the energy level is high it should force a minor explosion of air out of the lungs. I can usually tell if it is going to be a good game by Sarah if I can hear that exhale explosion when she is 50 yards away in the bullpen warming up.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I actually teach it. Helps keep the head down and facilitate leg drive. It is not like the hitter and catcher are going anywhere. :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
What I like about this gif is that you can see how late and how quickly her hips open towards 3rd base. Working with DD on this but seems very hard to make it happen late but then quick enough to stay ahead of the arm.

Sep 10, 2013
I actually teach it. Helps keep the head down and facilitate leg drive. It is not like the hitter and catcher are going anywhere. :)

i guess if you can hit your spots, in theory, you can pitch blind-folded :)

this is something i would start with my DD because she stares at the batter/catcher the entire pitch sequence and yes, she 'aims' it. :(

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
i guess if you can hit your spots, in theory, you can pitch blind-folded :)

When DD starts thinking too much or aiming too much, her PC will have her pitch with her eyes closed. It turns out my kid would be an amazing blindfolded pitcher.

It's PC's way of reminding DD that when she trusts her mechanics, she'll throw strikes.

May 22, 2013
My daughter had the pleasure of getting a lesson with Sarah, it was a very good and informative 60 mins. The night before we were working in one lane while Carly Hoover and Sarah threw in the two next to us. I must say I was more fired up than DD was.