The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A lot of folks don't appreciate how early in the swing the bottom-hand finds the height of the ball.

Bottom_Hand_Flat_To_Swing_Plane.gif

Bottom_Hand_Flat_To_Swing_Plane2.gif

Apparently there are some people that do appreciate it...

"I've already got this laser on this ball... and I just turn it" Roughly 55 second mark in video.

https://youtu.be/DOCEUgnO9es

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Apparently there are some people that do appreciate it...

"I've already got this laser on this ball... and I just turn it" Roughly 55 second mark in video.

https://youtu.be/DOCEUgnO9es

Teacherman: “When I am in my command drill, right here, I’ve already got this laser on this ball … and I just turn.”

Basically, before he swings, he's identified 'direction'. His swing takes place with 'direction' in mind.

Between the 3-sec to 9-sec mark Teacherman reviews a movement prior to his swing ... an alignment type move. From this it appears that he advocates that there is a move prior to his swing that aligns his swing with 'direction'.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Teacherman: “When I am in my command drill, right here, I’ve already got this laser on this ball … and I just turn.”

Basically, before he swings, he's identified 'direction'. His swing takes place with 'direction' in mind.

Between the 3-sec to 9-sec mark Teacherman reviews a movement prior to his swing ... an alignment type move. From this it appears that he advocates that there is a move prior to his swing that aligns his swing with 'direction'.

I posted this on BBD Aug 21, 2018 at 8:17pm
OH NO SAY IT AIN'T SO...........
tumblr_pdu64087Nh1usf292o1_250.gif

OH....THE HORROR....THE HORROR........
tumblr_pdu68oSuo61usf292o1_250.gif

SHOOT ME NOW.........
tumblr_pdu6h2QsxY1usf292o1_250.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

SHOOT ME NOW.........

Personally I don’t like the notion of having the lead-arm artificially aligned and be put on plane with the swing, nor do I like the teaching of initiating the swing from a stiffened core ala command-drill.

The ‘short hands’ action (below) provides multiple benefits and should flow into the overall swing. Also, the pre-stiffening of the core (command-drill) bypasses one of the more important segments of the swing sequence … which is the looseness & preparation of the core to pull. This is important for ‘timing’ and overall synchronization of the swing where the arcing/orbiting/working/turning of the barrel resists the forward pulling movement of the torso/hip-engine.

I see way too many kids that wish to pre-load. From my way of thinking the command-drill reinforces this.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Donny Buster:

The Bottom Hand

o The bottom hand should start almost vertical with the thumb side almost up.

o When the lead elbow goes up seeking the plane of the pitch the bottom hand palm goes palm down.

o This propels the barrel backwards into the back side of the swing arc rapidly.

o A small hand turn yields a big barrel move.

o Mentally extend that thumb up 33 inches and imagine how far the barrel accelerated as the hand turn to flat.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

SHOOT ME NOW.........

Personally I thought there was some value in that video. There were some aspects of HI that I was having trouble following, and that video helped me piece some things together. I think I have a better understanding of HI instruction as a result. Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I can assure you that my interest in the video is sincere. Do you find issue with the video, or are you in agreement with the premise?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Personally I thought there was some value in that video. There were some aspects of HI that I was having trouble following, and that video helped me piece some things together. I think I have a better understanding of HI instruction as a result. Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I can assure you that my interest in the video is sincere. Do you find issue with the video, or are you in agreement with the premise?

At the time I had a problem of/with the 'direction' before the TTB. I later realize/thought that it is the 'Command Drill' that TM is explaining and what movements he uses on that drill.
I get 'accused' all the time of 'blindly' following someone. Just proving that I don't.....I had/have a problem with this:
''If the pitch was down there...this was my stance..this is what's going to happen..It's going to go like that:

The laser slaces/slices the ball first:

The barrel goes right through.....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
At the time I had a problem of/with the 'direction' before the TTB. I later realize/thought that it is the 'Command Drill' that TM is explaining and what movements he uses on that drill.
I get 'accused' all the time of 'blindly' following someone. Just proving that I don't.....I had/have a problem with this:
''If the pitch was down there...this was my stance..this is what's going to happen..It's going to go like that:

The laser slaces/slices the ball first:

The barrel goes right through.....

Got it. As I have mentioned before, there are aspects of HI that I do like. Just like there are some aspects from other posters that I like. There are things I still question, but it may be just because I don't have a complete understanding of their views. The entire 'hand-centric'/'barrel-centric' discussion is a good example of that. IMO there are positive points from both sides. But there is some misrepresentation on both sides as well (at least by some -- not directed at anyone here...). The more I learn, the more I am starting to agree with [MENTION=11444]Giantheart[/MENTION]. While I do believe there are differences and it isn't all "nuance" as he likes to say. I don't think most of the differences are quite as extreme as some people like to make them seem. JMHO...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12