The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm happy you posted the data.. I didn't ignore it, I looked at it and then I didn't agree with it.. which is why I went and got a visual of an actual pitch in an actual game that displayed the ball continually rising to contact point.. you seen my picture and video right? They also have there own analysis, but being an analyst myself I understand how results can be padded to produce unexpected outcome. The picture and video doesn't lie and correlates to my own experiences. 9 inch drop on a riseball is a poorly thrown rise or not a rise ball period.

For the still you posted the last ball shown appears to be at its apex and the ball has to be struck...Look you obviously are not going to change your opinion on this so we can agree to disagree I guess. I have a computational fluid dynamics course to teach in a bit..need to prepare :cool:

May 12, 2016
A riseball, thrown for a 'called strike', will not be 'rising' as it crosses the plate :).

If you are trying to 'swing down' on a riseball thrown for a strike then you are not 'in plane' with the ball at impact. Hence why I asked the question of you earlier about 'swing up' vs 'swing down' based on pitch type.

So a rise ball thrown from the knees will not be rising at the sternum as it crosses the plate? I can't say for sure, so I won't argue it. Just so you know I never ever ever said you swing down on a ball..but I definitely said an upward swing plane in this scenario is ill advised. What I did say was a fastpitch players approach should be a level swing which puts them in the best position to adjust to whatever trajectory is tossed at them. I've already said this twice in this thread.

May 12, 2016
For the still you posted the last ball shown appears to be at its apex and the ball has to be struck...Look you obviously are not going to change your opinion on this so we can agree to disagree I guess. I have a computational fluid dynamics course to teach in a bit..need to prepare :cool:

Does it though? Look at the video and see where the ball is caught. Tough call I'll admit.. but the ball definitely did not drop as it crossed the plate which is what you were proposing. That's not my opinion, it's fact and the picture/video proves it... many more on youtube that shows the same thing.. even on this thread. So you have to understand why I question that data and results.. A riseball thrown properly does not drop on avg by 9 inches, blasphemy, :). Have fun teaching whatever you just said.. LOL

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
He appears to be stuck at the phase of swing-development of 'getting on plane early'. He's patient ... so he'll eventually figure it out.

Now you are just being hurtful.. :) I eventually figure most things out because I listen. So now you agree with pattar that the riseball actually drops?? Where do you instruct your batters to stand in the box? I know I seen it somewhere on this site.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Jun 8, 2016
That is why I don't really talk much about swing up or swing down. In fact, I rarely talk about that. Instead, I simply want them to be able to adjust to balls in the zone and not out of the zone. In teaching the mechanics I teach and since I emphasis pitches in all locations, the hitter learns to adjust per ball position without being told to swing down or up. The cue "hands flat fast" is simply a cue to hit balls up. Some of you will recall when I used to talk a lot, back in the day, about the plane of the shoulders and the plane of the bat. I really don't speak much to that. I guess what I am saying is that I keep this stuff really simple.

There are certain things you can teach in a swing, how to adjust your swing (body) to hit pitches at an infinite (ok not infinite but a lot) number of different pitch locations in the zone is not one of them imo. Get the basics down and then provide the proper live arm repetitions..the hitter will get there with time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm happy you posted the data.. I didn't ignore it, I looked at it and then I didn't agree with it.. which is why I went and got a visual of an actual pitch in an actual game that displayed the ball continually rising to contact point.. you seen my picture and video right? They also have there own analysis, but being an analyst myself I understand how results can be padded to produce unexpected outcome. The picture and video doesn't lie and correlates to my own experiences. 9 inch drop on a riseball is a poorly thrown rise or not a rise ball period.

I applaud you for searching for real data.

The issue comes with your perception of what you see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67