The influence of Ted Williams in fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I often quote Ted Williams in my posts. The reason I quote Ted is because he was a proven expert on hitting and is considered by many to be the greatest hitter of all time. Many coaches and instructors still parrot his words, and some fairly modern day MLB players like Wade Boggs are on record as saying that they learned to hit by reading "TSOH".

I believe the swing as described by Williams is perfect for fastpitch because it is a swing based on efficiency and quickness. It's also a swing that is relatively flat; Ted did not believe in a big upper cut swing that some associate with the baseball swing.

Here is what you get when you take a fastpitch player with an outstanding work ethic and apply Ted's ideas on hitting.

Cochran applies The Kid's approach to softball - College Sports - ESPN

Softball

Sun Devils rely on game's deepest roster in championship run - College Sports - ESPN

Player Bio: Kaitlin Cochran - Arizona State University Official Athletic Site

The next time you hear someone in the fastpitch community make light of Ted's material, or imply that it's somehow outdated; be sure and remember Katie Cochran, and Katie's dad who was a former minor league player and refused to bow to the naysayers.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wellphyt,
Bought TSOH AND Epstein because of all the good things you have mentioned in your post.I also learn alot from you(along with many others)from what worked with you DD.I also learn from the mistakes you have made in the past with your DD and how you went about correcting them.This has and will save me alot of unwasted time.You have been very honest on your teaching process with your DD and I believe and know it has helped me.I'm sure you have help other dads also with your posts.Thanks.

Nov 29, 2011
Ted was a student of the game, as we all try to be. He was very intelligent and understood at a different level, and like Katie, they both have the most incredible hands and eyes.

I sit directly behind Katie at the ASU softball games, also she takes some of her live BP at our academy from one of the pitching coaches there, so I have talked too and watched her hit many times. Next time I will ask her about Ted, and was he the driving force in her approach and mechanics as a junior player, would be good info. Katies dad gives hitting lessons in Cali, heard he was pretty darn good too!

Thanks for the post Wellphyt -

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
I agree with rdbass, i have recieved so much help from you guys around here. And I know this is about Teddy ball game and his book, which I bought for my DD, but the info that gets broken down here about his work and how its explained even helps more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors