Men's Fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Most schools did not have FP programs. Our conference was one of only a handful in the state. Many years ago my school switched to a conference that did not have FP, so my school doesn't have a program anymore, it's possible they don't anywhere in the state.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's dried up without anyone at the helm. It takes A LOT of work to get boys playing fastpitch, especially if their dad's didn't play (at any level) and growing up around the ball fields. There is still a boys national tournament, held at the end of year in Michigan "sponsored" by NAFA. They have 10u-18U teams. And that guy works TIRELESSLY to keep it going. But it's a losing battle. When I was 18 and played in the ASA 18U Nationals, there was 20+ teams. I remember the 1987 ASA 18U in Arizona (I was 15 at the time) had 30 or ore teams.

Now days, I think they're lucky to get 15 teams among all the divisions at the NAFA tournament in Michigan.

Ironically the 40 and over divisions are growing rapidly. 40, 45, 50 and 60 and over are doing pretty well with numbers.

Bill

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
OMG, Freddy? Now that guy could hit. Somehow I had a feeling it was him, maybe I'm psychic. We played together with the Houston team for a bit, and against each other a bit. I have MAD respect for Fred.
He was client of mine back in 2002-2009 era. He's still pretty solid. I followed his daughter's softball career. He played baseball at A&M and so did she (softball)! He started in baseball and then transitioned to Men's Fastpitch. I bet Fred never saw it on TV but was probably invited to give it a try. Wasn't there a guy who had a construction business that sponsored his team. Nacho?

Aug 21, 2008
Nacho was awesome. Yes, he owned a construction company and probably dropped $300k per year on the team. That pays for team's flights, hotels, rental cars, entry fees, uniforms, and payments to whatever players get money (not everyone got paid). I remember him hitting 2 HR's off Mike White in the same game, which is no small feat.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12