The "Hissy-Quit"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
and there can be plenty of good reasons for being unhappy to say the least at a big tournament, and I feel as long as you are not disrepectful, or disruptive, it is OK to make your feelings known. DD split time at C all year with another girl on the team (will not debate their relative merits here), prior to nationals we already know of at least 2 other girls leaving, both dads forming teams in other orgs, one invites DD to join his team already in aside to me at our last local tournament. other is making a 14u team (DD is staying in 12s), but said he would talk to 12u coach in org he is moving to.

(backstory, 12u C team, at beginning of season, talked to HC, told them DD was also playing rec, he said great, more reps, not a big deal if she misses practices for rec games. basically, this group of families, which include HC and two of his DGDs, that went undefeated in rec last year decided to do travel, and needed some other players to round out a team, so they got them. But they were never really part of the team. One dad even yelled at a AC acting as HC during very first tournament (HC was recovering from surgery, son could not be there), he should not be playing the "fill in" players as much as we was.)

team winds up doing well at nationals, runner up (remember, C ball, they have two really good pitchers, probably both could be in regular rotation on B teams, those were the only two pitchers to pitch at nationals). DD catches 3 games out of 11, plays one in left, pinch hit a few times, CR ran for other catcher once. Only reason she got as much time as she did is that Sun they played 5, needed to give other C breathers (she played 2 sunday). HC's son, sort of Associate HC, tells us that it was not fair to other girls who were always at practice, if DD got her normal playing time (50% behind plate, 25 % in OF is about what she played prior to Nationals). and other girls missed practices, probably not as many as DD, but other girls missed multiple practices. DD did miss a few for reasons other than rec games as well (and missed rec games for same type of reasons, school concert, school play, "class trip" to local MLB game, missed a one day tourney late that got announced to us last minute (ie week before because we had made other plans.

but no advance warning of her playing time being greatly reduced, probably because if we knew prior that was his plan, we would have not gone, and he knew it, and the team would have been toast with only one C. after Friday's last game (5 games total, one behind plate, one in left so far), all coaches but one AC (who we really like, and who was not on board with what was happening, is one of families leaving to form new team) and rest of team giddyup and leave pronto, DD is in tears. the one AC talks to her a bit, back at hotel we ask her what she wants to do, if she wants to leave we will support her. She decides to stay for her teammates, not certain I could have done that, proud of her.

now last game friday, and Sat (only one game), we are making no bones about it, we are not happy. not making a scene, but you can tell DW and I are not happy. Sat we go sit down right field line way away from everyone else. We had also made some comments during other games when he constantly CR for her with less than 2 outs (she is probably best, certainly top 3 or 4, baserunner on team, not blow your mind flat out speed, but quick, heady, and unlike 60% of girls on team, she will slide, and do it well, most of them laugh off how ackwarddly they slide when they bother to do so at all, and rest of team laughs with/at them). but since other C cannot run bases to save her life, well neither is going to be allowed to do s, might highlight other girsl deficencies. couple of games they Flex the other C because she is not good at plate, so next game DD is behind plate, has to flex, even though she is in top third/half of team in most hitting categories. we are not yelling, not causing a scene, nothing like that. even some of the other parents agree that what they are doing to her is not right. and most of the other parents knew at this point that we would not be back, HC's son even had told someone "we were leaving with X (AC leaving to form own team", when that was not case at all (actually, at nationals, we had no idea where DD was going to end up, just knew it was going to be somewhere else)

AHC/HC's son, and wife of HC, go ballistic on DW via facebook and text when we get home. say DD had encouraged other girls to leave (on drive home, she messaged a girl who saw even less playing time than she did that she should try out for X and Y teams, but season is over, and this girl got hosed worse than DD, DD was trying to encourage her and help her, season is over, no one owes anything to the "team", other than letting them know you will not be back once decision is made).

by the way, team went 3-0 with DD behind plate, not really indicative of anything, just saying ;) in one of those she threw out 3 BR stealing second. she went 2 for 8 for the week, 3 walks, 2 RBI, pretty middle of the road numbers for this team, but with the PA near the bottom of the team.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Bottom line...Earn your spot. Being "as good" isn't enough. Be better. Be so much better you can't be ignored.

one of the weird by-products of reaching "recruitment age", and the current "tourney machine" environment,
is that older (16U and especially 18U) teams start playing less "elimination bracket" events and more "showcase" events.

The byproduct is that winning is no longer the primary concern.
And thus, coaches can get all the players on the roster in the game with no (direct*) adverse effects.

* I say "direct" because there are indirect effects. if your team doesn't perform well competitively, then you won;t get scheduled at the "prime" field complexes where most scouting coaches will be in attendance. This, of course, is another aspect that feeds parental "fear" that I neglected to list above. Certain parents will be absolutely beside themselves if Suzy plays a showcase game with zero coaches in attendance.

May 9, 2019
There is never a good reason to act like that but sometimes people just lose their cool.

In terms of motivation for getting a scholarship (really it more accurately should be described as being as good as you can be..the scholarship part would be the byproduct of that) and/or playing at the highest level of the sport, not every life decision has to be made purely on a monetary level. Plus getting a college scholarship doesn't preclude getting a good academic degree..

Maybe not purely monetary.

Oct 4, 2018
Never understood the wanting a full ride mentality.
Anyone who has gotten a full ride has already spent near that much in lessons, fees , etc no?

And let's say they get in on a full ride, so what then? After college what real great options are there for your DD?

The pro level isn't paying anything from what I can tell. So what exactly is the motivation to be so obsessed to the point of causing a scene in public?

I admit, I want my DD to do well, and succeed, but mostly for her to enjoy her childhood, stay fit, and learn life lessons through competitive sports.

Totally agree.

Quite honestly, I'm looking for the team she's most happy on. Close second is a team with good parents.

Oct 4, 2018
and there can be plenty of good reasons for being unhappy to say the least at a big tournament, and I feel as long as you are not disrepectful, or disruptive, it is OK to make your feelings known. DD split time at C all year with another girl on the team (will not debate their relative merits here), prior to nationals we already know of at least 2 other girls leaving, both dads forming teams in other orgs, one invites DD to join his team already in aside to me at our last local tournament. other is making a 14u team (DD is staying in 12s), but said he would talk to 12u coach in org he is moving to.

(backstory, 12u C team, at beginning of season, talked to HC, told them DD was also playing rec, he said great, more reps, not a big deal if she misses practices for rec games. basically, this group of families, which include HC and two of his DGDs, that went undefeated in rec last year decided to do travel, and needed some other players to round out a team, so they got them. But they were never really part of the team. One dad even yelled at a AC acting as HC during very first tournament (HC was recovering from surgery, son could not be there), he should not be playing the "fill in" players as much as we was.)

team winds up doing well at nationals, runner up (remember, C ball, they have two really good pitchers, probably both could be in regular rotation on B teams, those were the only two pitchers to pitch at nationals). DD catches 3 games out of 11, plays one in left, pinch hit a few times, CR ran for other catcher once. Only reason she got as much time as she did is that Sun they played 5, needed to give other C breathers (she played 2 sunday). HC's son, sort of Associate HC, tells us that it was not fair to other girls who were always at practice, if DD got her normal playing time (50% behind plate, 25 % in OF is about what she played prior to Nationals). and other girls missed practices, probably not as many as DD, but other girls missed multiple practices. DD did miss a few for reasons other than rec games as well (and missed rec games for same type of reasons, school concert, school play, "class trip" to local MLB game, missed a one day tourney late that got announced to us last minute (ie week before because we had made other plans.

but no advance warning of her playing time being greatly reduced, probably because if we knew prior that was his plan, we would have not gone, and he knew it, and the team would have been toast with only one C. after Friday's last game (5 games total, one behind plate, one in left so far), all coaches but one AC (who we really like, and who was not on board with what was happening, is one of families leaving to form new team) and rest of team giddyup and leave pronto, DD is in tears. the one AC talks to her a bit, back at hotel we ask her what she wants to do, if she wants to leave we will support her. She decides to stay for her teammates, not certain I could have done that, proud of her.

now last game friday, and Sat (only one game), we are making no bones about it, we are not happy. not making a scene, but you can tell DW and I are not happy. Sat we go sit down right field line way away from everyone else. We had also made some comments during other games when he constantly CR for her with less than 2 outs (she is probably best, certainly top 3 or 4, baserunner on team, not blow your mind flat out speed, but quick, heady, and unlike 60% of girls on team, she will slide, and do it well, most of them laugh off how ackwarddly they slide when they bother to do so at all, and rest of team laughs with/at them). but since other C cannot run bases to save her life, well neither is going to be allowed to do s, might highlight other girsl deficencies. couple of games they Flex the other C because she is not good at plate, so next game DD is behind plate, has to flex, even though she is in top third/half of team in most hitting categories. we are not yelling, not causing a scene, nothing like that. even some of the other parents agree that what they are doing to her is not right. and most of the other parents knew at this point that we would not be back, HC's son even had told someone "we were leaving with X (AC leaving to form own team", when that was not case at all (actually, at nationals, we had no idea where DD was going to end up, just knew it was going to be somewhere else)

AHC/HC's son, and wife of HC, go ballistic on DW via facebook and text when we get home. say DD had encouraged other girls to leave (on drive home, she messaged a girl who saw even less playing time than she did that she should try out for X and Y teams, but season is over, and this girl got hosed worse than DD, DD was trying to encourage her and help her, season is over, no one owes anything to the "team", other than letting them know you will not be back once decision is made).

by the way, team went 3-0 with DD behind plate, not really indicative of anything, just saying ;) in one of those she threw out 3 BR stealing second. she went 2 for 8 for the week, 3 walks, 2 RBI, pretty middle of the road numbers for this team, but with the PA near the bottom of the team.

... and I thought I was dealing with drama. :(

How many girls were on this team? We had 11, and heaven forbid we sat a girl an entire game. We did that and got chewed out. We don't do that, we get chewed out. We try to ignore the chewing out, we get chewed out.

I'm done coaching.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...no advance warning of her playing time being greatly reduced, probably because if we knew prior that was his plan, we would have not gone, and he knew it, and the team would have been toast with only one C.

You were willing to pull your DD out of the team, at a critical time for the team, knowing it would be potentially damaging to the rest of the team, because you weren't happy with your DD's playing time...

That is - literally - the definition of a "hissy-quit".

the one AC talks to her a bit, back at hotel we ask her what she wants to do, if she wants to leave we will support her. She decides to stay for her teammates, not certain I could have done that, proud of her.

Props to your DD for making the right choice. (y)

May 9, 2019
I'm not sure how you're connecting these two. A "full ride" is getting your college paid for. You're still getting an education.

Yes, you are. But you are also paying to get your DD in a position to get that education paid for by the scholarship.

There are other types of scholarships you can obtain as well, not just athletic.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
one of the weird by-products of reaching "recruitment age", and the current "tourney machine" environment,
is that older (16U and especially 18U) teams start playing less "elimination bracket" events and more "showcase" events.

The byproduct is that winning is no longer the primary concern.
And thus, coaches can get all the players on the roster in the game with no (direct*) adverse effects.

* I say "direct" because there are indirect effects. if your team doesn't perform well competitively, then you won;t get scheduled at the "prime" field complexes where most scouting coaches will be in attendance. This, of course, is another aspect that feeds parental "fear" that I neglected to list above. Certain parents will be absolutely beside themselves if Suzy plays a showcase game with zero coaches in attendance.

This is the way it goes for the most part, but we are starting to see more Sunday Single Elimination brackets being introduced in these showcases. DD's former team had 18 rostered players on her team and I can't remember ever having all 18 players show up at the same for games or practices this entire summer. 16U/18U girls have lots of things going on that are related to school activities, SAT/ACT, awards ceremonies, College camps, college visits, and some just lie about where they are instead of being with their team. Side Note: A D1 college coach shows up looking for her committed player and asks me where she is. I turned to look at her and say I don't know. Coach says she doesn't know either. Found out later that she was at the Travis Scott concert. Guess what that kid is no longer going to that school and will attend a Juco instead.

Point being, you have to have large roster for the most part and it is pretty simple to get the players their playing time. Lots of substitutions going on to make sure kids get their playing time. So what if they sit out a game over the weekend. During DD's younger years she never missed an inning. Once she got to 16U that all changed with showcasing.

If they play a showcase and the coaches aren't there, the player didn't do enough to make that coach want to go see her play. The parents should be mad at their own kid and themselves! Players have to get on their list of players before the coach even gets to the field. But I have gotten kids recruited just by talking to the coaches and finding a need and player that is a good fit. You would be surprised at the number of coaches that were still looking at 2019's. We found a spot at a D2 for one player and had another girl being looked at by very good mid major for pitching as their top pitching recruit decommitted and will play in the Big12. Parents need to chill and let the process unfold as there will be a spot for their kid to play in college...somewhere.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, you are. But you are also paying to get your DD in a position to get that education paid for by the scholarship.

There are other types of scholarships you can obtain as well, not just athletic.
Your kid is young, so is mine. At some point they may want to push themselves to be the best they can be which may or may not include a monetary loss on your part as this "pushing themselves" may include wanting to play for a premier team which travels more and hence is more expensive, etc. If you don't want to take the hit I can understand and they may as well. For some people pushing themselves is part of the fun that everybody says they want their DD's to have playing a sport. Both my wife and I are type A personalities so we actually have to tone this attitude down some with our kids. With regards to academic scholarships, there is certainly more money in that and many scholarship athletes do get both.

I guess my main point is the scholarship part is a byproduct of an athlete/student pushing to excel which is what should be the focus and not the scholarship.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
after Friday's last game (5 games total, one behin
Your kid is young, so is mine. At some point they may want to push themselves to be the best they can be which may or may not include a monetary loss on your part. If you don't want to take the hit I can understand and they may as well. For some people pushing themselves is part of the fun that everybody says they want their DD's to have playing a sport. Both my wife and I are type A personalities so we actually have to tone this attitude down some with our kids.

Agreed. Pushing yourself , or pushing your DD to be the best THEY can be is great. But it doesn't have to come at the expense being a jerk to others or causing a scene. Yes, in the heat of the moment this can happen to anyone. Everyone is different, but ideally we should just wear our fake smiles and realize life is more than this. That was really all my point was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619