The hands - How high is too high?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Wanted to get some opinions on hand placement for a hitter. I know some of that is style, but my DD's hands (while in the stance) are at the top of the helmet. I think they've migrated there over time.

What are your thoughts on where the hands ought to be?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hand placement in the stance is "style".Hand placement in the load is an absolute.Some say the hands should be no higher than the highest strike zone.I like the hands at or around the height of the helmet ear hole. In the load I like the higher hands/elbow,because I think it helps the batter not drop their hands as their first move.I think it makes it easier to whip the bat.I've seen batters with high hand set in the stance,that drop them back into the hitting zone.I also see batters have low hand set that "pump" there hands up to the strike zone.I've have also heard how some like the hands having something to do"active hands"while batting.What ever works for the batter is OK untill it creates a problem downstream in the swing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I like the hands at or around the height of the helmet ear hole.

Yeah, or maybe an inch or two lower seems comfortable to me. i'll have to watch and see where her hands are at toe touch. I think she keeps them too high. ...

Most interestingly is that I really think she's moved her hands higher and higher in the stance without knowing it. Looking for 2011 photos to confirm. I wonder if kids this age (or all ages) make unconscious little changes in their swing all the time that may or may not be good.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Watching other players on their teams or pro players(baseball and softball).Let them experiment.If it works great,leave them alone.If it creates a problem time to tone it down alittle and dial it in.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think it might be leading to a V swing. She hits pretty solid, but does tend to slice the ball more than I think she ought. Just a theory. Thanks for the feedback.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The correct positioning of the hands during 'load' can vary from player to player. My DD has always been taught that she needs to get her hands into position so she can go straight to the ball during her swing - typically a couple of inches below her ear. If your DDs hands are at the top of her batting helmet her first motion will most assuredly be to drop her hands. This will cause problems, especially when she is facing faster pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
CoogansBluff,
You seen my DD swing.If your DD swings looks like my DD where her front arm extends to soon.ELAE (Early Lead Arm Extension),this would cause a slice or back spin on the ball.So next time check out your DD's swing and see what the lead arm does.
JAD,
One of the biggest problems I see with hitters is their first move is the drop of the hands.Good luck trying to get them back up after there dropped.Alot have an A to C swing.So its a down swing, then up to swing to the bat which either slices ball or causes a pop-up.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good comments, JAD & rdbass. ... I think you're confirming my own observations.

Here's what I think - She used to drop hands, but because of constant ''don't drop your hands!" she therefore keeps hands up and swings more down at the ball.

It seems to me that if your hands are too high to start, there's a good chance you'll either drop your hands, or you'll swing down (V swing), one or the other.

redbass - Yes, my DD does extend arms too soon. Not as noticeable as your DD does in the video, but she doesn't maintain the 'hitter's box' at contact. Sounds like the slices are symptoms of this. I've been told you see slices to RF, or grounders up the middle. My DD has a pattern of that sometimes.

Oct 19, 2009
I tell kids to avoid extremes because they can reduce the success rate, especially when they see the good pitchers. Getting to the good starting position (load) ASAP with no wasted motion is a plus for the hitter IMO, I like to see the hands no higher than the ear hole of the helmet. We start with the bat on the shoulder in a relaxed position and when the pitcher starts her motion we bring the bat/hands up about 2 -3 inches and move with the pitcher.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
The height of the hands in the set-up/stance is less important than where they are at the point of "touchdown". If they are around the height of the back shoulder at that point that should work out well. The back elbow should get loaded to around that height also. (generally speaking...I know there are exceptions).

The space between the hands and the body as well as the bat angle at this point is important too... Another discussion :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32