The great thing about all turf fields is the kids can play even if it’s raining.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
And it's still wet! I don't understand how some coaches seem to think the turf is magical. The ball is still wet every time it touches the ground. The turf is still wet and slippery for hours after the rain stops.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
Its okay to miss a game, especially if the weather is miserable! When I coached, the girls actually liked it when they were "independent" at a game from time to time, without their parent(s) there.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And it's still wet! I don't understand how some coaches seem to think the turf is magical. The ball is still wet every time it touches the ground. The turf is still wet and slippery for hours after the rain stops.

If it's decent turf, it's really not still wet. We had snow on Monday. The turf was not only clear of snow on Tuesday (the grass still had some snow), but it wasn't at all slippery.

Any time we've played on turf post-rain, it's drained almost immediately and is fine to play on. Not all turf is the same though.

Oct 29, 2019
1 hour after the rain stops is what makes turf magical.

Last weekend it rained all morning. Rain stopped at 10:30. I drove to the local turf fields guessing some teams would have cancelled practice. We had a perfect field to ourselves for 3 hours.

Jun 20, 2015
Lou Berliner Park in Columbus has gone to all turf infields. All 31 fields. they can play again within minutes of the rain stopping. much fewer rain outs and cancellations now.

Biggest thing is for all players to remember to wear turf or plastic cleats. No metal for any position any more.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

Well, it isn't magic, but it does allow the kids to play. Teams in the Seattle area have been playing on some newly turfed fields in pouring rain and cold. Sometimes the pitching suffers and there are more errors, but the kids get to play.

Jun 11, 2012
Turf is great unless you have a kid who routinely dives and slides. Turf burns are way worse than grass burns for an outfielder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom