The great thing about all turf fields is the kids can play even if it’s raining.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Saw that during USSSA Eastern Nationals last year. It was early August, and late afternoon. Our day had ended much earlier, but even that morning there was easily a 10 degree difference stepping out onto the turf. (That's when I really appreciated my role as bench coach vs. base coach!).We were all sitting around the pool, watching the final game via the stream, and during a pitching change or offensive coaches conference, you could see the girls basically collapse onto the field. Several of us commented that it was probably better to just stay standing than get any closer to the ground.

Oct 4, 2018
Its okay to miss a game, especially if the weather is miserable! When I coached, the girls actually liked it when they were "independent" at a game from time to time, without their parent(s) there.

It's really an important part of softball, certainly at the 10U and 12U ages. The park is generally a safe space, confined with plenty of parental supervision. I love that my girls can be free to bond and play and do their own thing between games.

Feb 22, 2021
Lou Berliner Park in Columbus has gone to all turf infields. All 31 fields. they can play again within minutes of the rain stopping. much fewer rain outs and cancellations now.

Biggest thing is for all players to remember to wear turf or plastic cleats. No metal for any position any more.
Love playing there!

The downfall to turf is like @JOHNN just said, gets so dang hot out there!

Jun 8, 2016
Kind of on topic ...

What do you guys think of grass in fields? So use to the dirt dislike the grass a little bit.
As a former infielder what I do know is that when you go from playing on one type of surface (e.g. in softball dirt, in baseball grass then dirt) it screws with your timing for a while. I remember we played on an all dirt IF once in Ohio and the 1st game I played I was like wth, why is the ball coming at me twice as fast... :LOL:

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
As a former infielder what I do know is that when you go from playing on one type of surface (e.g. in softball dirt, in baseball grass then dirt) it screws with your timing for a while. I remember we played on an all dirt IF once in Ohio and the 1st game I played I was like wth, why is the ball coming at me twice as fast... :LOL:

DD hated when we have to play different facilities and the infield is drastically different for this reason. We’d play one week that was softer so the ball would slow a little after impact. Then we’d have to play on one that was so hard the ball came at the IF like a rocket.

This year will be our first turf field experience for games. Luckily, we’ve been able to setup and practice on the local HS turf football field. It’s been great but not looking forward to being on it during peak Summer.

Jun 8, 2016
DD hated when we have to play different facilities and the infield is drastically different for this reason. We’d play one week that was softer so the ball would slow a little after impact. Then we’d have to play on one that was so hard the ball came at the IF like a rocket.

This year will be our first turf field experience for games. Luckily, we’ve been able to setup and practice on the local HS turf football field. It’s been great but not looking forward to being on it during peak Summer.
The worst was the old indoor facility we had in college. The surface was rubber and it was badly lit so the ball got on you so fast...hated it.

Jun 20, 2015
worst part is they have been working on the highway around berliner since my DD was playing 12u....she's now a sophomore in college!!!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I'll agree that turf is really nice to have if you have a field that drains real well. But it can also be pretty miserable to be on when you live down south and its easily 100 degrees plus on the fields.
I have seen turf fields melt plastic molded cleats in the heat, here in the northeast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45