The Flip camera is dead

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In case you haven't heard, Cisco has decided to discontinue the Flip video camera. The Flip was the first of its kind, but after Cisco bought it it seems they had trouble figuring out what to do with it. With their sales flagging they've decided to focus on their core business of networking and get out of this (and other) consumer products.

No big deal for me -- I prefer the Kodak Playsport anyway because I'm just not very careful with my toys. But for those of you who have Flip cameras now, you should be aware that it's likely there will be no more support. And should it break you'll need to find an alternative.

Of course, with smartphones today you get some video capability anyway -- enough for a quick shot and review. I know the iPhone has an app you can buy that allows you to step through video like the Playsport and other dedicated cameras. So if you need a quick shot that's an alternative. If you're planning on shooting more, again you'll need another option.

We bought a Flip for my son Adam when he was in Afghanistan. That was when they first came out. It held up pretty well, especially considering it was a hot, dusty environment and a war zone. Not sure if he still has it or it's still working, but it did the trick back then. Too bad -- it was a good product.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep, I have 2 of them. I love them, myself. I read that it was a profitable line, so I am wondering if this decision might get turned around. I really liked that I could personalize them. I haven't been to their FB page to see what the loyal users are saying, but I can imagine.

I may just get a better quality digital camera and go with that. Next, Apple will shut down. :(

Jul 26, 2010
The flip was actually designed as a disposable video camera for CVS pharmacy. The idea was that it would work the same way those cheap disposable cameras work. Buy it, bring it in for processing, and CVS would keep it, wipe it, and repackage it for sale at about $27 a pop. This business model flopped because the cameras were easily hackable so people were picking up a reusable camera for under $30.

In comes Cisco, replaces the buttons with a rather crappy touchscreen, puts it in a sturdier case, and launches a huge marketing campaign. Inside the guts are the same quality as a "disposable" camera. So here you have this thing that isn't a phone but takes video about as good as a phone but isn't a phone but. . . anyway. So Cisco blew half a million on what clearly was a vegas business deal.

Look for them being sold for really cheap in closeout specials. They're very usable products, just didn't really have a market and Cisco tried to dress them up to be something they weren't.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I really like the software that comes with the Flip. Is there a way to replicate the 30FPS using my ipod touch?

th_Screenshot2011-04-13at10541PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Feb 16, 2009
Just bought 8GB Mino HD Custom Design

For 2 hrs of taping time. The picture is absolutely wonderful. I've sent clips to dd's HS teammates and they can't believe how clear the picture is - the image stabilization is like its on a tripod -- but I'm holding it! I really love this camera - I didn't need directions to start up and it's so easy to use. Really disappointed to read about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413